My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a new Husky just under a year ago. Lately, it's been getting harder to start, ran the battery dead yesterday trying to fire it up. I recharged the battery, finally got it started, and it ran fine after. Shut it down, let it set a while, and it fired right up. Tried to start it again today, same deal, ran the battery dead, recharged, and finally got it started, ran great after. I've tried to turn it over with the choke on, choke off, and at half throttle. Any ideas? I've never run it out of gas, usually top it off after every mow, bad gas maybe? Need the plugs changed? Very irritated...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mine's still under warranty with the lawn shop I bought it from. They suggested I get as much gas out of it as possible, put some Heet in it, fill it back up, and change the plugs. If that doesn't do it, they'll come pick it up. They told me they've had a bunch in this year with starting issues, 99% of them had water in the fuel. They said the methanol should be 15%, they told me that they've been seeing 35%, and that's bad on tractors after about 30 days in the tank.

·
Banned
777 Posts
Either use a methanol treatmeant in your gas, or see if you can buy non-oxygenated (ethanol free) gas in your area. ethanol in gas and small engines don't mix well at all. In my area most stations carry a non oxygenated, ethanol free. premium gas marked for small engines and collector vehicles only.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Siphoned the gas today, put new gas in, added a bottle of Heet, and changed the plugs. Cranked it for about 10 seconds, let up, cranked it a second time for about 5 seconds, fired right up.

·
Banned
777 Posts
If it's going to be stored with gas in the tank, you need an ethanol treatment like Sta-bil. Heet isn't going to help. The alcohol in Heet will absorb moisture from the air and you'll have the same problem in the spring.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.