My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I've got an early 90's GT6000, 917.255980, 6 speed transaxle (well, 3 low and 3 high, plus reverse). The transaxle is leaking oil, appearing at the base at the center of the transaxle, and I assume it is the gasket where the two halves come together. The gasket is part number 121878X. Does anyone have experience changing out one of these? Is it worth the effort? Alternately, I figure I could rig up some kind of catch pan under there, and then just make sure I keep the transaxle filled. When we park the tractor after mowing, it seems to drop about an ounce onto the floor of my shed, leaking slowly over the next few hours. Thank you for your advice!!!

·
Premium Member
9,864 Posts
Part number should be 7393R which subs over to 532007393 at Jacks small engines. $3.14 each.
Drain the transaxle, Pull the tire, and the axle hub. Seal should be visible now. Use a small screwdriver to pry it out.
Lightly sand (emery) the axle shaft, and apply a lite coat of oil to the shaft. slide the new seal on, and use an appropriate size of PVC pipe to set the seal.
Not hard at all.

·
Minding my P's & Q's
2,131 Posts
Larry, I think he is asking about the seal between the two transaxle halves. Not the axle seal.
But I could be wrong. I remember I was wrong once before.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you, Larry. As JP mentioned, I am referring to the gasket between the two halves of the transaxle. Of course, if I do that job, I'll do the axle seals as well, so your info is helpful just the same.

·
Premium Member
9,864 Posts
Thanks, I haven't had to split one to put back together "yet" and that gasket is NLA so if I had to do this I would look for a good RTV sealer and try it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess my question is....if I opened up that transaxle to try and seal the leak (using RTV if gasket is no longer available) would I end up with a pile of parts on my workbench with no chance of ever getting it all back together again? Or, if I have the transaxle on its side, would most everything stay in place when I lifted off the one half of the housing? After all, a leaking transaxle is better than a hopelessly disassemble one, right?

·
Registered
1,585 Posts

That's a link to my ice racer build. It uses the same transaxle, but without the high/low. I used Threebond to reseal the halves. Scroll about half way down to see the transaxle. Fairly easy to do if you leave one wheel on.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you, Mr. B440. Very cool project you did. I'm thinking the transaxle project might be better left for the off-season, because if I attempt it now, the grass around here might get pretty tall waiting for the mower to be back in business. Ha ha. Again, thank you.

·
Premium Member
5,475 Posts
Note, if you really want to use a gasket, you can trace the outline of the flange surface and make your own out of a sheet of gasket material, as it's fairly commonly available and shouldn't be too expensive (but I don't know how large a sheet you would need).

It's possible you need a gasket of the same thickness, depending on the clearances of various bits inside. Probably not, but it's possible.

If you don't use a gasket, then I would suggest using an anaerobic flange sealant, I've found that works well for mating flanges that are submerged in oil.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, Dave. I have made my own gaskets for other projects....a bit tedious. I'll probably just go with the sealant.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Buckwsr,

Just make sure that when you decide to "tackle this", to Disassemble the Case with the Brake facing UP! If you do the opposite, everything will fall out of alignment and on the floor!

Try to keep the Right Side Wheel/Tire on, so you can use it as a Stand!

The included pictures should assist you.

Take care,
-Thomas (12)
Port Orchard, Washington
(Just West of Seattle)

Sent from my SM-J337V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Buckwsr,

Just make sure that when you decide to "tackle this", to Disassemble the Case with the Brake facing UP! If you do the opposite, everything will fall out of alignment and on the floor!

Try to keep the Right Side Wheel/Tire on, so you can use it as a Stand!

The included pictures should assist you.

Take care,
-Thomas (12)
Port Orchard, Washington
(Just West of Seattle)

Sent from my SM-J337V using Tapatalk
Great advice. I really appreciate it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts