My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've slowly been bringing a GT6000 with a Kohler M18 back to life. I have one problem left....it takes forever for this thing to start! It just cranks over forever and ever until it finally kicks over. Spark plugs, air filter, etc are all new. I am forced to spray starting fluid into the intake repeatedly to keep it running until it finally has fuel! Once its running it runs great and there are no problems. It will then restart instantly. This problem exists when it sits for more than a day.

So what gives? If these things had a primer bulb built in I would be in business. It seems as though fuel just isn't getting to the carb and it is taking forever for the fuel pump to prime. I have thought about putting one of those marine in-line primer bulbs on there but there isn't a whole lot of room and frankly, its not fixing the problem. There are no noticible fuel leaks that I can tell. When this problem is occuring there is a little fuel in the filter, maybe a 1/4", its not bone dry.

Any ideas? Thanks!

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
sounds like a weak fuel pump

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I should also mention that the choke function appears to be opperational. It definetely affects the way the fuel mixes once running. When its cranking over and over it is not "attempting" to start or anything. It is just cranking, cranking, cranking and then all of a sudden VROOOOOOMMMM! The position of the choke does not appear to make a difference when it is cranking forever. Once it finally kicks over on its own...then it makes a difference.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The filter is brand new. Changing it out and the fuel lines is no big deal...its worth a shot. How hard is the fuel pump to replace (and where is it)? I've been using a good dose of fuel system cleaner in the gas since I've been using this tractor. I've probably gone through 10 gallons of fuel with it so that should have done something.

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
hmm... actually it sounds like you are starting it without choke. when you next go to start it, throttle all the way up, and have the choke ON

·
Registered
269 Posts
Try a can of that SeaFoam. I bought some at Walmart a while back. Pull the spark plugs after cranking it over a few times. The ends should be wet with fuel. Then you know the cylinders are getting fuel. Then you'll know if it's an air or compression problem.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I guess great minds think alike! Choke is 100% on. I've tried 25%, 50%, you name it...doesn't make a difference until its running (turn choke on, it bogs down). After letting it crank over for about a minute I checked the plugs.....dry. Its just not getting fuel. Weird thing is...once its running it runs perfect!

I've been using Seafoam since day one. The engine has probably seen two bottles by now.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Now you know it's either the fuel pump or the carburator. When I had that problem, it turned out to be the impulse tube that connects to one of the head covers. The tube was cracked. Just to be safe, I went ahead a rebuild the carburator. Those little fuel solenoids are expensive!

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
check you float to make sure there arent holes or perforations in it

·
20,000 +posts!
20,959 Posts
The MV20 Kohler in my Yard-Man always had to be cranked until the battery nearly croaked before it would finally fire up ,if it had sat unused more than a day or two..--same symptoms as you describe,didn't matter if it was choked or not--but choking it did get it to start the fastest...
I figured the fuel evaporated from the carb bowl,and the vaccuum fuel pump had to pump a long time to draw gas from the tank,which is under the seat area..
I installed an electric fuel pump as a "booster" in addition to the stock one ,turning that one on before attempting to start it and letting it pump up till it stopped ,made it start right up every time..I found I do not need to leave the electric pump on once it started,evidently the stock pump will draw enough fuel thru the electric pump when its off to satisfy the engines needs..

I haven't been able to see that "impulse tube" that gives vaccuum to the stock pump,I wouldn't be surprised if its cracked or leaking,I have to pull the tractor all apart to fix a porus rubber gas line on the stock pump,so I'll see if I can find that hose and check its condition..
This seems to be a trait among these engines,I have heard a lot of "have to crank the thing over forever before it'll start" complaints on these..

·
Registered
7 Posts
When my ST 16 sits a while it is takes a lot of cranking to start, I figure it is a weak fuel pump. To solve this I remove the gas cap and blow into the tank to pressurise it to force gas into the carb, It then starts right up. So try to keep the gas tank filled and blow into the tank with your mouth tight to it. That will tell you if you have a weak gas pump. Also when the starter was cranking very slow, I replaced the brushes and now it cranks fast even with a weak battery.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I would suggest that you let the mower set fore a day or two, Then Unhook the gas line from the carb and crank the engine to see if gas comes out immediately or if it has drained back to the tank. I "almost" suspect a possibly very small pin hole gas line somewhere that the pump is pulling in air but gas does not leak out ... I would also say that the pump could be suspect as well

d

1 - 13 of 13 Posts