My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, here is my dilemma...

I want help deciding between '10 GT5000 and PGT9000. The price is comparable, I think. PGT is a bit more heavy duty, IMHO. I have a few small hills on about 3/4 of an acre, but would be using a lot of accessories.

I can get by with what I have this year. So, should I

1. Wait until the next year models?
2. Get the reliable GT5000
3. PGT9000 (does not have much reviews).

Please help! Any ideas of the next year line up and when are they going to be available?

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Third option could be that sexy new Simplicity built 9500.

But, having seen all 3 side by side, and assuming the 9500 might be out of your budget, I would wait until winter clearance, wait for a frineds and family sale and pick the 5000 over the 9000. It just seemed to be the sturdier of the 2.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right now the online price I found is about $2,900 (give or take) for GT5000 or PGT9000 How much should I expect to pay at the winter sale + discount?

Thanks!

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
I've seen the 5000 as low as $2499.

Now another thought for you is to check Sears outlet stores for a returned model. I've seen a 5000 for $1500 with a full warranty. At that price you could afford the bumper to bumper 3 year warranty.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Now another thought for you is to check Sears outlet stores for a returned model. I've seen a 5000 for $1500 with a full warranty. At that price you could afford the bumper to bumper 3 year warranty.
Checked all outlet stores online within 50 mile radius... no luck, the closest one that has GT5000/PGT9000 is in another state ;( do they usually have all of the inventory on-line, or does in make sense to stop by a few local outlets?

Thanks again!

·
A semi-retired senior cit
2,132 Posts
Darth Vader would be proud of that PGT9000.

·
Micro Farmer
38 Posts
http://todaysmower.com/2010/2010-craftsman-professional-garden/

Check out this review. I surveyed many of the available sub-$3000 Garden Tractors and decided on the Craftsman PGT 9000. It's more powerful and heavy duty with a heavy ground engaging rear end that will allow it to do more than just mow. It's 54" cutting deck works very well and clips my lawn evenly.

There is one flaw with the deck positioning mechanism, it uses a plastic pulley with a steel cable that can, and does in my case, jump the pulley groove and destroy the pulley. It's covered under warrenty but I feel it needs some type of keeper to hold the cable in the pulley groove.

That said, I stand by my decision that this is the best machine for the money and has the strength to hold up to my 4+ acres of lawn and field. I have almost 25 hours of mowing time and it has performed extremely well even in tall pasture grass. It isn't a commercial mower so I need to let the grass dry out some, no early morning mowing if the grass is over about 3 inches, otherwise, wet or dry, it finely clips and discharges the grass.

I am looking to purchase a sleeve hitch for this GT. I plan to plow and harrow my garden. I would also like to use a blade to level my gravel drive from time to time. I will not purchase the sleeve hitch new as I believe that $140 is a rip off. I'll build my own from scrap iron if necessary.

The only issue with waiting for the winter doldrums in hopes of getting a deal, wait only if you won't be disappointed if the stock is gone. I work in consumer electronics retail and can't tell you how often we run out of the good stuff before there is a chance to mark it down. You will probably find deals on the low end stuff, but they can be hard to find if the item is in high demand. I purchased my PGT9000 at the beginning of the summer and my store only had one in stock.

Hope this is helpful to you, if you have any questions for about my GT, just respond here or send me a message.

Paul

·
Registered
758 Posts
Feels like partial sacrilege here, but you could also consider the GT5000's AYP made sister, the Dixon GT sold online through Home Depot, with the Kawasaki engine...

·
Registered
273 Posts
Checked all outlet stores online within 50 mile radius... no luck, the closest one that has GT5000/PGT9000 is in another state ;( do they usually have all of the inventory on-line, or does in make sense to stop by a few local outlets?

Thanks again!
i think thats the manual gear model

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK, looks like I will be getting GT5000, found one on sale for $1700 at sears outlet. A few more questions:

- Should I get - 3year plan ($499)?
- Will it fit onto a a full length 8' Cargo Bed Toyota Tundra?

Thanks!

·
Registered
330 Posts
The warranty is a crap shoot, but at that price, why not? I had to take my 54" deck off to fit in my dodge dually, I'd expect the same in a Toyota.

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
I believe you are well served by the 3 year plan, assuming it is still bumper to bumper, and you can get a smoking engine replaced at 2 years 10 months as in the past.

I believe the overall width is around 42" without the deck, so I would assume it would fit. Not so sure about the Toyotas, but most pickups are designed to let you get a 48" sheet of plywood between the wheel wells. You'll want to take the deck off, which will also provide you with a good opportunity to inspect it prior to hauling it off.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Not hard to take the deck off at all. It takes me about 8 minutes or so once I knew what I was doing. You will most likely need to take the deck off to get it in the truck. I have about 30 hours on mine and it has been good so far.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Not hard to take the deck off at all. It takes me about 8 minutes or so once I knew what I was doing. You will most likely need to take the deck off to get it in the truck. I have about 30 hours on mine and it has been good so far.
does anyone know the width with 54" deck on?

·
Registered
451 Posts
I am not home right now but I will get the dimensions for you after 6pm. I know its around 55-56 inches because I just replaced the shed doors and the opening measured 61 and a half inches. The deck clears with about 2 inches on each side.

·
Registered
273 Posts

sorry about this I responded to the wrong quote the I think the $2499 is the manual gear drivven model

1 - 20 of 29 Posts