My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI everyone, I just had my brother inlaw give me a 2005 gt 5000 with the 25hp kohler. Unfortunately the rod went out through the block but the rest of the tractor is in really great shape. My question is can I use a smaller hp motor to repower, I have a kawasaki fb460v with an electric pto that runs well. I understand its only a 12.5-13hp engine but I only want this tractor to mow with no plans on any attachments whatsoever. Tractor is not a hydro and has a 48' deck will only be mowing 1 acre lot wich is pretty level. thanks

·
Banned
7,239 Posts
Check the PTO dimensions and bolt pattern.
IF those match, you probably can without too much hassle.

Since the Kaw has an electric PTO, the charging system probably should be adequate, although if it didn't have to operate headlights etc. in it's original life, that might be questionable.
The Kohler probably had a 15 Amp system.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The kawi engine came out an old wheel horse mower so I think the charging system will be ok. Was just thinking on the gt the fuel tank is in the rear fender,will I have to relocate closer to the engine? If I have to its no big deal should have lots of room and theres some smaller tanks laying around here. (hate to throw anything out). So you guys think Ill be ok on power going down to the 13hp? Thats the only thing I was worried about, I can make anything work in there.

·
Registered
48 Posts
rpryor,

I have two of these GT5000's with the stock Briggs 26hp engines. Have been using for over 6 years. You are considering puting in an engine that has 1/2 the horsepower for which the tractor was designed! I don't think that is a good idea. If you do get it to run, the engine will be severely over stressed and have a short life. I would replace your Kohler with an equivalent Kohler or Briggs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
just in case anyone comes across this message,I ended up buying a used/cheap 19.5 hp opposed briggs. I used the pto clutch off the kaw engine and rewired. everything bolted up and cables reached ok. the briggs engine had a dual output charging system,so I installed a diode in the lighting wiring to convert to dc. just had it out mowing for about an hour. works well. hope this helps someone else out!

·
Buy High, Sell Low
511 Posts
Take any pics of the retrofit? I'd like to see that opposed briggs in there

1 - 7 of 7 Posts