My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Jim in PA
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Morning: I am waiting for Sears to deliver this new tractor. They are almost an hour late. I want to take the deck off and spray the bottom with MoDeck. Can anybody advise me if this is a difficult/ time consuming process? Also, other than the obvious oil check etc. is there anything I should pay special attention to before I jump on it and take on foot high grass on two acres? Thanks, Jim:thanku:

· Has anyone seen ChimChim?
6,553 Posts
You sound just like me, a few weeks ago...

The deck doesn't look too hard to take off, haven't done it yet.

Congrats on your purchase

· Premium Member
63 Posts
Well, the more you do it the easier it'll become. I remove/reinstall my deck on concrete and use small caster assemblies (3 wheels on a frame) under each side of the deck to make sliding it sideways in & out easier.
My procedure:
1. adjust the deck as low as it will go so its weight is off the suspension
2. loosen tension on the deck belt using the tension arm on the deck and
remove the belt from the drive pulley/clutch on the mower
3. remove front hairpin clips, slide the deck suspension pins loose at the rear
4. raise the GT's front wheels onto ramps or jack stands to elevate it
(if you use ramps have the ramp part away from the mower)
5. raise the deck fully UP using the lift lever to get it out of the way
6. turn the GT's wheels to the right to get them out of the way
(if on jack stands)
7. slide the deck out to the right (discharge) side.

It shouldn't take you more than a few minutes

JimboTN
(always in a Volunteer State of mind)

I always use these times to also lube the spindles with a grease gun.

Good luck with your new GT5000!

· Premium Member
10,317 Posts
If it has an electric pto, taking the deck on or off is about 5 minutes once you're used to it. I have a 42" deck so it's pretty easy to handle. Even so, a helper makes the work go a little easier (not as much shifting from side to side, and someone to hold the tension spring while you're routing the belt).

Lower the tire pressure as they are over inflated for shipping. If its a hydro transmission you will want to follow the simple directions to purge it. This takes less than 5 minutes, in fact it takes longer to find and read the directions in your owners manual. You might also want to grease the zerks and pinion gear.

· Jim in PA
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank You... Jimbo, Steve. Great advice, I got the deck off, that was relatively easy. However, I can not find the instructions in the manual on how to 'Purge the Transmission". Any help on how to do it or where it is in the manual? Jim

· Premium Member
10,317 Posts
Thank You... Jimbo, Steve. Great advice, I got the deck off, that was relatively easy. However, I can not find the instructions in the manual on how to 'Purge the Transmission". Any help on how to do it or where it is in the manual? Jim
In my manual it's the top of page 16, not that that is much help to you.

Here's a crib notes version of the procedure"

1. Place tractor on level surface.
2. Pull freewheel control to disengaged position
3. Start engine, set throttle at low, release brake
4. Depress forward drive pedal all the way and hold for 5 seconds, then press the reverse pedal and hold for 5 seconds. Repeat step 4 three times.
5. Set brake and shut off engine
6. Engage transmission by moving freewheel control to engaged
7. Start engine, set throttle at 1/2 speed, disengage brake
8. Drive forward 5 feet then backwards 5 feet, repeat step 8 three times
You're done.

· Premium Member
10,317 Posts
My delivery guys did nothing but get it off of the truck. They were very pleasant, but they clearly weren't there to make sure everything was set up right.

6,553 Posts
**** I didn't know I was supposed to purge the system first.... I guess I will do that now.... No the Sears delivery guys did not mention that, they said "the key goes here, gas goes here, have a great day" and that, was about, it....

· Registered
166 Posts
In my manual it's the top of page 16, not that that is much help to you.

Here's a crib notes version of the procedure"

1. Place tractor on level surface.
2. Pull freewheel control to disengaged position
3. Start engine, set throttle at low, release brake
4. Depress forward drive pedal all the way and hold for 5 seconds, then press the reverse pedal and hold for 5 seconds. Repeat step 4 three times.
5. Set brake and shut off engine
6. Engage transmission by moving freewheel control to engaged
7. Start engine, set throttle at 1/2 speed, disengage brake
8. Drive forward 5 feet then backwards 5 feet, repeat step 8 three times
You're done.
I am expecting delivery of my GT-5000 on Friday! HOPEFULLY! Anyway, when I am reading your directions on purging the system. Is step 2 and 6 the little medal bar that you push in and out on the rear of the tractor? How often should you purge these?

6,553 Posts
None of that is in my GTS5000 manual, I went and looked. *shrugs*

· Premium Member
10,317 Posts
I am expecting delivery of my GT-5000 on Friday! HOPEFULLY! Anyway, when I am reading your directions on purging the system. Is step 2 and 6 the little medal bar that you push in and out on the rear of the tractor? How often should you purge these?
Yes, the little wire that hangs out the back engages the transmission or disengages it for pushing the tractor. Basically, you only need to purge it once, unless the transmission is serviced, or maybe if you hear excessive whining or loss of power, but at that point you probably have more problems than just a purge.

one more tip. If I am using a rear bagger on my tractor the little wire interferes with installation of the bagger mounting bracket and must be moved out of the way. I believe your GTs all have a different rear end so it may not be a problem but I thought I would mention it. It used to be very frustrating installing my bagger until I figured this out.

· Premium Member
10,317 Posts
None of that is in my GTS5000 manual, I went and looked. *shrugs*
Wait a minute. That thing uses a Hydrogear transmission right? Maybe you don't have to purge a Hydrogear like you do a Tufftorq (like mine). So sorry for the confusion if that is true, or as Emily Latella would say in the early days of Saturday Night LIve, "Never mind."

· Registered
1,112 Posts
lol, Sears/Lowes/HD don't use delivery guys that are tractor experts. They hire guys that know how to drive a truck. You should have had the guy at Sears you bought it from go over things with you in detail. I try to do this with every customer who buys a tractor from me at Lowes. I'm not capable of delivering dealership quality service when you buy, but that doesn't mean I can't try my best to make a customer happy.

6,553 Posts
Chris,

Yeah I would have done that, except for the fact that I knew more about the product than he did :)

I didn't actually *expect* training from Delivery Truck Drivers. I did expect them to be on time, I guess an hour later than the cut off point is normal though.

· Jim in PA
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank You everybody for your input. Sears called this morning at 6:30 and said the tractor would be there in about an hour. At 9:15, the guy showed up. He knew little about the tractor, he had recently moved to Eastern PA from Brooklyn, NY. Thanks to this thread, I was able to quickly remove the deck, I wanted to spray the bottom with MoDeck. (I read that it would help allow the grass to exit more freely). I purchased the product at Tractor Supply, $8.00.I put furniture sliders under the deck, and was able to move it freely from under the tractor on the garage floor. It went back on without a problem.
This is one powerful tractor. Although this is my first rideon mower, I have watched our landscaper race around on his Xmark for $75.00 a week, and this thing seems to do a comparable job. Obviously, it does not back up as rapidly, but it should pay for itself.
As for 'The Transmission Purge'. They left the requirement to accomplish the purge in the Before Start Checklist, but removed the procedure from the manual. I did the one outlined earlier in this thread, it was really simple.
I really had fun mowing the lawn! Thanks, Jim

· Registered
288 Posts
I read somewhere on here (cant remember the source but it seemed reputable) but they stated to burnish the PTO pullies by turning off & on 50 times before mowing. I did that, not sure if it helps or not but atleast everything is working OK. 2009 GTS 5000.

Jason

· Super Moderator
29,574 Posts
I read somewhere on here (cant remember the source but it seemed reputable) but they stated to burnish the PTO pullies by turning off & on 50 times before mowing. I did that, not sure if it helps or not but atleast everything is working OK. 2009 GTS 5000.

Jason
if you read that i believe someone was yanking someone's chain.

6,553 Posts
if you read that i believe someone was yanking someone's chain.

I was kind of thinking the same thing... FIFTY TIMES? :)

· Registered
288 Posts
You guys had me worried I was going crazy so I researched. I cant find the original post but someome posted a manual for some brand of GT similar to mine and in the manual they said to turn on/off 50 times. To verify Im not totally crazy here is a John Deere manual which states to perform procedure 12-15 times. Scag states theirs requires 25 times.

http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache...h+break+in+procedure&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

If I recall the manaul I orginally saw this in was a husqvarna which made me think it was similar to mine. Heck it may have not done any thing but I figured my PTO had a clutch type wear pad so it needed break in before applying any torque to it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.