My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 6 month old GT5000 with the 26hp Kohler will not stay running after backfiring. I dismounted the tractor to remove debris from my path, and the safety device on the seat shut it off. Well, it backfired on the shutdown, and the problems started. It restarted and made it partially around the yard where it died. I figured I was low on fuel or vapor locked, so I topped it off and let it cool for 20 minutes. It restarted and ran for a few minutes before quitting. I let it sit overnight, and it starts and dies out now. I pulled the feed line to the carb, and no fuel is coming from the pump when cranking. The filter is full of gas, and the thing only has 13 hours on it. I think the backfire busted the diaphram in the pump. Ever seen something like that? Thanks, Rudy.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
Ja, the fuel pump gets its pulse from the crankcase and you must have had some sort of combustion in the crankcase to rupture the diaphram.

So with just 13 hours on it in 6 months, the tractor still has warranty so they will replace the pump.

I bet next time you will remember to set the parking brake.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update: I replaced the pump today, as I did not want to wait for warranty service. It started right up and ran fine--for a few minutes. Then, it began sputtering again. Now the filter was nearly empty. I released the gas cap and relieved a large vacum. I cleaned the cap up, and it runs like a champ! So, the gas cap appears to be the culprit, as the vent is apparently not allowing air to reenter the tank fast enough to prevent fuel starvation. I will update if problems return. Thanks, Rudy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts