My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently developed starting issues with my GT275. I'll turn the key to 'on' and the dash lights up, but when I turn it to 'run' nothing happens. The lights don't dim, there's no clicking, nothing. I'll turn the key off/on several times and eventually it'll crank and run perfectly fine. It'll behave for a little while, then if I turn it off and try to turn it on again the problem will repeat.

Does that sound like a starter issue? I would have though it would make a clicking noise when turning the key, so I'm kinda leaning towards electrical like a relay but have no clue where to start looking other than to just start replacing parts associated w/ the ignition system and see what fixes it....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I played around with it a bit more and starting to think it might be the PTO switch - when it doesn't want to start if enable/disable the switch several times and then it immediately cranks and works fine for a while (i.e., I can turn it off/on/off/on without any issues).

What exactly happens with the PTO switch when I engage/disengage it? Is there an electrical part like a relay under the dash that I might need to replace, or is it physical?

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I did a search online and found a diagram for the GT275!

I don't know if you can read a schematic, so here's a quick description. In "Start", power comes out ign. term A, through F3 fuse, up, over, and down into pto switch If pto switch is "Off"...and working properly!... power continues through Neutral Start Switch,,,if in neutral... and back into ign. switch, term S1. This is connected to S2 which will energize solenoid and crank engine.

If cycling pto switch gets engine to crank, I'd say switch is going/gone bad and needs replacing. Bob

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Turns out it was the starter. I replaced the PTO switch and the problem persisted. Replaced the starter and problem went away. I guess it was just a coincidence that jiggling the PTO switch a bunch of times got it working.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts