My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a 1997 GT275 for $400 locally from the original owner. The tractor has been meticulously maintained and looks like it, however, the reason it was so inexpensive is that it has an intermittent engine noise. Maybe someone else has experienced this noise before and can give me some guideance.

The FC540V is original and starts and runs great. The noise almost sounds like a loose dry bearing, or a broken metal bracket that's resonating, and it sounds internal to the engine. Like I said it's intermittent - it doesn't happen at idle, the noise starts at mid-throttle and above. Sometimes it doesn't make the noise though, at any throttle position. The previous owner took it to the dealer and they replaced the PTO but that didn't fix it. They then told him it was "internal damage and it needs a new engine". Also, the noise happens with the parking brake on so I'd assume it's not a bearing in the deck, which was my first instinct when I was talking with the owner.

I'd appreciate any input on this issue. I'm not afraid to tear into this engine so I'd like to get a Service Manual for the tractor and/or Kawasaki engine, what's the best place to find these?

Thank you in advance. -Ken

Here's a couple of teaser photos:

Attachments

·
Registered
948 Posts
The best place to get manuals for your tractor is direct from Deere. You can order them in printed or electronic format. Your dealer can order them, or you can order them direct from Deere's Web site, or by calling Deere direct.

Nice looking tractor by the way. Can't help on the noise issue.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its not a muffler noise is it(loose baffle or something) or manifold gasket.
It sounds (and feels) like an internal problem, but I'll take a look at the muffler since it's down in the vicinity of where the noise is coming from. I'd love to simply replace the muffler and/or gasket instead of internal engine parts. :fing32:

Has anyone ever had any issues with the crankshaft counterweight?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I've removed the deck, hood, and all of the cooling shrouds and the noise remains. My stethescope indicates the noise is coming from the lower end somewhere so I suppose the engine will be coming out. I did find a couple other problems in the disassembly. The flat steel plate between the frame rails is cracked. Also the welded-on pin that locates the PTO is worn halfway through.

Guess I need a service manual. Does the JD manual cover the engine as well, or must I buy a manual from Kawasaki?

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'll be watching this thread anxiously to see what becomes of your project. Hope it goes well.

I also have a GT275, from what I hear-its a great mower-i probably agree, being as I dont have experience with anyother!!!

On the PTO stub, I filled it in with JB Weld, see what happens, Easy fix so far.

I wish I had info on the noise, let me know what you find out.

Good Luck and hope it works out, easily and cheaply!!!
Steve

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The engine is removed and torn most of the way down on the bench and I'm seeing a couple of problems. First is the counter weight bearing where it slides on the shaft, there's quite a bit of copper showing through and the shaft has some scoring. There's also some scoring of the crankshaft near the lower main seal, the aluminum case of course shows more wear than the crankshaft. I'll get a puller in the next couple days so I can remove the flywheel and have a look at the rod bearings and counter weight link bearings but it looks to me like it was starved for oil at some point. Take a look at the photos below, and I'll update this as I tear into it further. I was lucky enough to find a pdf download of a Kawasaki Factory Service Manual. :fing32:

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I found the source of the intermittent noise on this Kawasaki. The balance weight contains a 'bearing' of sorts that rides/slides on an aluminum shaft that's bolted to the bottom of the crankcase. This bearing was toast on mine, and the shaft is scored. Both parts are ordered, as well as a couple gaskets and some oil and I should have it buttoned up in a day or so.

I also took this opportunity to weld up the crack in the engine mounting plate, replace the main drive (hydrostatic) belt, and thoroughly clean the rest of the chassis.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got the tractor back together yesterday evening and it runs beautifully, no vibrations or strange noises. You can see on the photo below the original on the left and the new on the right.

This evening I'll get the deck on it and cut some grass. :D

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great work man! The GT 275 is, imo, probably the best lawn mower Deere built, especially for the money. Awesome buy for you!
Thanks for the compliment. I mowed the entire yard yesterday, about an acre, and it worked great. I need to have the blades sharpened however. I'd also like to shim the seat or get a different one, the original one is angled down in the front too much and I'm constantly sliding forward.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wow Great Deal on the GT275! I have a 97 GT275 too and wanted to ask you if you may know if the cam had to be changed in that motor since it looks like it has the steel cam gear in your photo. I've been told conflicting info about the FC540V motors having the plastic cam gear or not. What serial number range is that motor? Mine's in the high 49000s. Sent PM.

Thanks,
Brian

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The cam you see is what was in it, I didn't change it. The number on the engine is FC540VA79470, the 79470 must be the serial number.

Also, PM returned.

·
Registered
294 Posts
This is a great place!! My friend's brother-in-law has a JD 180 with this engine that he wants me to fix. It has similar noise coming from it. My first thought was to come here for an answer. A quick search and I found what will probably be the problem with this engine. Thanks for posting!!

·
Registered
294 Posts
Well, this engine didn't turn out as well as yours did. the shaft looked to be OK but the crank case has cracked out around the studs that hold the shaft in place. The owner isn't going to be happy to hear from me in the morning.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Not Baaaaad for $400 now you got it fixed up?!?! Nice job diagnoing and rooting out the trouble dude!!:trink40:
Thanks for the compliments and yes, it's fixed and has been trouble-free since the repair. I mow an acre of rough yard once a week, not to mention using the tractor to pull my project Jeep in and out of the pole barn. :thThumbsU

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, this engine didn't turn out as well as yours did. the shaft looked to be OK but the crank case has cracked out around the studs that hold the shaft in place. The owner isn't going to be happy to hear from me in the morning.
Sorry to hear that. I got lucky that I caught mine before more damage occurred.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts