My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Senior Moment
3,215 Posts
I think the wire is part of the coil assembly, but yeah sounds like bum wire. Someone crafty with a soldering iron might be able to change the wire on one of these coils...

Everybody else is going to have to swap out the whole unit.

·
Cub GT2544 Kohler Cmmd 22
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
All, I believe I'm also leaking gas, as it's USING a lot, but also when I park it I always have some in the tank. When I crank it the next day, there's nothing in the tank (just enough to start it).

Could there be a crack in the gas lines somewhere, causing air to get in, or something similar? Thanks.

·
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
@TobyU I take that back... I do smell fuel in the gas. And it was way overfull (I checked it in broad daylight this time). Does that mean a stuck float/carb issues?

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
@TobyU I take that back... I do smell fuel in the gas. And it was way overfull (I checked it in broad daylight this time). Does that mean a stuck float/carb issues?
Hmmn, I think that one would smell fuel in the gas. :tango_face_surprise

Are you parking it on the grass? Slide a large piece of cardboard underneath to see if you are leaking fuel (gas) overnight. Cracked fuel (gas) lines can drain the tank fairly quickly.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I suspect that you meant to say gas in the oil - which was overfilled. That all makes sense if you had one bank firing intermittently, you would have raw gas washing down one bank. I have experienced a Command firing on one bank only - they run surprisingly well. If you have doubts about that coil/wire (they are sold as one part) I would not hesitate to replace it, and of course change the oil ASAP. Seriously diluted oil can cause real damage. Good luck!

·
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
@pfreiburger and @Flaken you are exactly right... I meant to say I smell GAS in the OIL!!! Haha SORRY. I also should mention that the "oil/gas" mixture was VERY high on the dipstick.

I made some really good progress tonight, based on some tips here.

I drained all oil and replaced it along with the filter. Since I had read that it may be a stuck float bowl or solenoid causing the flooding after I turn off the engine, I decided I would install a petcock valve to make sure no gas was flowing after I shut the engine off. However, the store was closed when I got around to going, so I used a pair of vice grips. After toying with the exact amount of "grip" I was able to keep the engine from flooding by limiting the amount of gas going to the carb by squeezing the gas line ever so tightly with the vice grips. I was able to cut my entire lawn, and the engine ran STRONG!!! Of course after I got done cutting my grass I fully tightened the vice grips and ran all gas out of the line.

I'm now thinking it's either a stuck bowl, stuck or bad fuel solenoid or anti-backfire solenoid (maybe those are the same thing?). Flaken... I think you were right on the money with one of your original comments a few weeks ago about this exact thing. Thoughts everyone?

·
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Well, I believe I finally fixed my issues today. This morning I pulled the carb and solenoid off, and sprayed the carb down with an entire can of carb cleaner (it was CRAZY dirty). I then took the solenoid and put it on my bench and hooked a 9v battery to it, which most folks show on YouTube that this should suffice. However, for mine it would only click. Once I hooked it directly to the 12v battery in the tractor, I believe it "freed" it and it started moving up and down when an electrical current was put on it. Once I put everything back on, the engine ran terrific (super quite, which I've never heard in the 2yrs that I owned it... even when it was running good). I still plan to put a cutoff valve on my gas line, just to ensure I never get fuel in my oil again by something malfunctioning like this.

Thanks again to everyone who provided assistance here!!!

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
What you may want to invest in is an ultrasonic cleaner to soak the carb in. This will clean it much more thoroughly than just spraying it from a can. Don't tell the wife as you'll never see the ultrasonic cleaner again once she finds out what a great job on the jewelry it does.

https://www.harborfreight.com/25-liter-ultrasonic-cleaner-63256.html

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
and try not to pinch fuel lines with vise-grips, esp after the filter...breaks loose pieces of hose inside the hose...then right into the carb.....

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
and try not to pinch fuel lines with vise-grips, esp after the filter...breaks loose pieces of hose inside the hose...then right into the carb.....
I always feel the fuel line and pinch it with my fingers to make sure it is soft and pliable. Then it really doesn't hurt it to pinch it off with vise grips or the plastic pinch off tools. If you get one that's old and hard you better not squeeze it at all.

·
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Well, unfortunately I'm back. I started having problems again so I just assumed it was the fuel solenoid. I paid $80 and replaced it (kit# 24 757 01-S). However, I'm still having the same issues.

There were 3 o-rings with it, and I could only figure out where two of them go (see attached). The smallest one and the second-smallest go on the yellow shaft/tube. I believe the biggest one "could" go under the yellow shaft/tube, but it would have to be pressed in there and held until it can be installed, as it does not "fit" onto or in anything. Can someone please help me with this?

If the solenoid is not the problem, then all I can find is that it could be the carb float sticking, but aren't these diaphragm carbs, and therefore they don't have a float bowl? Warning, I have no idea what I'm talking about... I've just been reading on the internet enough to be dangerous. :tango_face_glasses:

Thanks,
Heygreene

·
Handshake Seals the Deal
243 Posts
I had something similar with a friends older tractor with a Brigg and Stratton engine that he bought. It started having similar symptoms so we took the carb for cleaning. After cleaning put it back on and had similar symptoms to yours(rough idle, diluted oil...) but i had fuel pouring out the top of the carb. After many hrs of frustrating diagnostics we took the carb of to take back to the guy who cleaned it for us. It turned out to be that the float had a pinhole in it and would fill up with fuel and wouldn't float in the bowl and the engine would choke/ run rich(hence the black smoke).

Thats my experience with a Brigg and Stratton.

Sound like fuel problem to me. Maybe some gunk in the system. Something like a piece of gasket maker stuck somewhere.

Edit: just reread your last post. I don't know if it's diaphragm or float carb. Though I'd just share my experience with a float carb.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts