My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 1996 GT242 that quits after an hour or so. I checked the gas cap and I thought it was getting fuel. The first couple times it did this it didn't have spark when it quit... So I replaced the igniter today. It ran for almost two hous and i thought all was good... then it just backfired and quit. I let it cool for several hours and it won't even pop. I took out the plug and it's getting spark. Where should I go next?

thanks,
Jon

·
Master Service Technician
748 Posts
What engine do you have in it? Kawasaki? Kohler? When you say you replaced the igniter, Do you mean the coil?

·
Certified Master Tinkerer
3,045 Posts
Check the fuel filter and/or fuel pickup in the tank. There's probably crap built up in the fuel system that's clogging one or both. When you let it sit it settles back until you run it again then it clogs up again. One theory anyway...

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What engine do you have in it? Kawasaki? Kohler? When you say you replaced the igniter, Do you mean the coil?
it's a kawasaki, the igniter is the little silver electronic ignition module that's on the side of the engine by the dipstick.

·
Jersey Mechanic
1,015 Posts
Dump a cap full of gas or spray carb cleaner into the carb and see if it starts, you need to verify whether you are lacking fuel or compression.

Dan

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dump a cap full of gas or spray carb cleaner into the carb and see if it starts, you need to verify whether you are lacking fuel or compression.

Dan
I'm going to check for fuel today.

thanks,
Jon

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok it will fire on carb cleaner... I replaced the fuel filter and there is no fuel in the filter now... I thought turning the tractor over would fill it... but no.. think i need a fuel pump? or is the line plugged? is there a way to check the fuel pickup without taking the tank off? that seems like a big job.

Thanks,
Jon

·
Jersey Mechanic
1,015 Posts
Ok,
So you have a fuel delivery issue, I would remove the line going to the carb AFTER the fuel pump and turn the engine over and see if you get anything pumping, if not remove the line BEFORE the filter AND the gas cap and blow lightly to verify that the line is open to the tank. IF the line is open to the tank but the pump won't pull any fuel then you likely have a bad pump. BEFORE replacing the pump, remove the vacuum line that comes from the engine and verify that you have crankcase pulse from the engine as they sometimes plug.

Report back.

Dan

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok,
So you have a fuel delivery issue, I would remove the line going to the carb AFTER the fuel pump and turn the engine over and see if you get anything pumping, if not remove the line BEFORE the filter AND the gas cap and blow lightly to verify that the line is open to the tank. IF the line is open to the tank but the pump won't pull any fuel then you likely have a bad pump. BEFORE replacing the pump, remove the vacuum line that comes from the engine and verify that you have crankcase pulse from the engine as they sometimes plug.

Report back.

Dan
Wish I had read this earlier... I pulled the line off the carb side and was able to get fuel to come out but i wasn't sure if it was a strong enough stream, so I replaced the pump anyway... still won't run... I didn't check for a plugged vacume line though. I did blow on the line to the tank when I had it apart... but not with the cap off... not sure what's next?

thanks,
Jon

·
Retired Super Moderator - Deceased September 2015
26,679 Posts
Sounds like you are narrowing it down to a plugged vacuum line or the carb is plugged.:thThumbsU

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sounds like you are narrowing it down to a plugged vacuum line or the carb is plugged.:thThumbsU
I don't really think it's the vacume line since it was pumping gas. but it still might not be pumping as much as it should. I'm guessing cleaning the carb is next. I don't like the way it backfires withe carb cleaner... this morning it set the carb cleaner on fire!! good thing I had a hose there... I was able to put it out quickly. Not sure water was the best thing to spray on it but it worked.

Thanks, Jon

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Haven't had a chance to work on it today. not sure what to try next. at least we seem to have dodged the hurricane so far. the tractor is sitting outside since I can't push it up the hill to get it in the barn.

·
3,045 Posts
Haven't had a chance to work on it today. not sure what to try next. at least we seem to have dodged the hurricane so far. the tractor is sitting outside since I can't push it up the hill to get it in the barn.
Throw a blue tarp over it - its coming...

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't think we're even going to get any rain rain here in the Northwest part of CT

·
3,045 Posts
I don't think we're even going to get any rain rain here in the Northwest part of CT
NW CT might get some eventually. Just starting here as I type. Feeder bands trickling in all day, maybe its finally showtime. Hopefully get the lawn going and get some seat time soon :fing32:

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The sun is shining and not one drop of rain here. Heard the cape got hit hard though.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts