My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I never really paid attention to the front wheels on my GT235 other than adding a bit of air when I first bought it. Since then I have been checking tire pressure by pushing a thumb into the tread and seeing if it flexed as much as the last time, and completely forgot that the valve stems were on the inside.

After several years the tires started developing slow leaks, and now I have to add air pretty much every week, sometimes more, and having the valve stems on the inside is becoming a pain. I'm going to take the wheels off and have the dealer either replace the tires or add tubes, so in theory I shouldn't have to worry about leaks after that, but I'm curious whether the valve stems are supposed to be on the inside or the outside ? Photos on the internet seem to be split roughly 50/50, but since the photos taken when the tractor was newer seem more likely to have the valve stem on the inside while photos of older units have them on the outside I'm thinking "inside" is stock.

I ran across a Cub Cadet notice saying that front tire valve stems had been moved to the inside in order to avoid damage when working close to obstacles and I guess once the tires stop leaking I won't care whether the valve stem is easy to reach anyways, but I am curious what the correct position is for the valve stem.

Thanks !

P.S. Jacked up the front end in preparation for taking the wheels off and had a "OMG there are no wheel bolts" moment, but seems that there is a circlip under the removable cap that holds the wheel on.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I believe they were originally on the inside, but the wheels can be flipped around, they are symmetrical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
3,212 Posts
If you put tubes in you can keep 'em on the inside, the leaks will go away and you won't have to mess with it, except to maybe adjust for seasonal temperature variations, if you're that fussy.

The valve stems are much more likely to deteriorate from UV exposure than from hitting something imo... so inside has that advantage too, keeps 'em outta the sun.

However... a new set of tires and stems on the outside would probably see you gtg for another 10~20 years.

Reactions: Rarefish383

·
Registered
393 Posts
Both knees replaced so I can't quite squat . With them on the outside I can reach them easy. Maybe rest a hand on the hood. On the inside I have to lay on the ground. I've had 4 farm tractors, all on the outside. One, the tires were loaded, the other three had regular auto valve stems in them. Often bush hogging in stuff so high you cant see the ground, and never a valve failure. On one of my GT's I had a slow leak, if I used the tractor a lot, it didn't seem to leak. If I let it sit for 2 weeks the tire would be flat. Thinking it might be the stem I was feeling around to see if I could feel air . Then I pushed on it with my thumb, and it just snapped off. That was probably the UV deteriorating the rubber, making it stiff, but it was 20 years old. I always put in new valves when changing tires, cheap insurance. And they always go on the outside.

·
5,111 Posts
I believe they were originally on the inside, but the wheels can be flipped around, they are symmetrical.

Not all the wheels are symetrical...when I got my Legacy the tires were rubbing against the spindles because the previous owner had turned them so the valves were on the outside....it wore grooves almost clear through the tire walls on the insides.....but you can check to see if yours will clear if they do make it without losing necessary clearance then just do what is easier

·
Registered
693 Posts
Yeah just measure how far the hub sticks out from the rim on each side. I was referring to only the 3x5 and the GT2x5 machines I've dealt with

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Just switch them to the outside, check for clearance to be sure no rubbing, then use TireJect in them to stop leaks and you will be set until the tread is completely worn off of them. All of this can be done in your garage with simple tools, in under an hour.

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone. I hadn't thought about UV impact, but should be OK in this case since I store the GT235 under cover and out of direct sunlight.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I believe the front rims are the same as the rear. They can be mounted either way, but one way will give you a wider wheel base, the other narrow. If you are on hills, the wide base adds some stability.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I believe the front rims are the same as the rear. They can be mounted either way, but one way will give you a wider wheel base, the other narrow. If you are on hills, the wide base adds some stability.
You don't want to flip the rear rims because they have cones built into them to mate with the lug bolts, but only on the one side

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
You don't want to flip the rear rims because they have cones built into them to mate with the lug bolts, but only on the one side

Pretty sure you're both incorrect. My front were exactly the same inside and out. And the owners manual stated you could either run the rear wheels in wide mode (normal) or flip the wheels around for narrow tracking or something like that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts