My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last fall during leaf season my GT225 started to make a low level grinding noise coming from the rear at or near the hydro. It has gotten somewhat worse this spring but seems to sometimes come and go.

The hydro seems to perform as well as when I bought it in 2009 and it will only whine when put under a pretty decent load (up a steep slope or pulling a loaded cart). These units didn't have hour meters, but it appeared to be on the more lightly used side when I bought it. Change the hydro fluid in 2009 and it old stuff looked pretty good coming out.

I don't know if this is the hydro or I think there is an idler pulley near the top end of the hydro. I don't know if the pulley could be failing or is there a bearing on the top end of the hydro that could be cause. :dunno: Just looking to see if anyone has any thoughts on what might be going on. Thanks

·
Registered
7,945 Posts
4 years old, what is it worth in $? :dunno:

I have had this one for 5-7 years.

It has ALWAYS whined going up a steep grade. :duh:

I can hear my son-in-law run it from over 1/4 mile away, and you can not hear the mower or engine!!

It has straight cut gears, they are gonna be noisy!!

Possibly, yours has a similar rearend! :fing32:

Oh, yea, I do not worry about it, a bit!!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's definitely not the typical hydro whine. This is a low level metallic grind which just started last fall. Hydro seems to perform as well as when I bought, just the metallic grind has started. Looks like there is a bearing on the top end of the pump shaft or the idler pulley. Those look to be the two top end bearings.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Some of the GT2 series had a issue with stripping the hydro shaft teeth. Not enzactly sure but may be the shaft the pulley is on up top. I know my dads GT235 did this and he had to remove the transaxle and install a new shaft because the teeth were ate up. Been fine ever since

Sorry I couldn't be more descriptive but I didn't see it when he repaired his. I'm assuming its the shaft that comes up out of the transaxle that the pulley and fan connects to. The worn part is inside the transaxle so you must break it down to check it.

I would just run it until it stops if it isn't anything simple you can see visually. If it is the shaft wearing out I refered too then eventually it will stop and you will know what to look for. It didn't cause any damage for dad just stops pulling eventually. He replaced his shaft and put it back on the tractor and has ran strong and quiet ever since.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have heard the hydro drive belt, idler pulleys, make metallic, grinding, raking sounds when the sealed bearing is failing. Take the belt tension spring loose, hand spin the pulleys, you will be able to hear it. Hopefully, that's all it is.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts