My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been having issues with my engine not starting. A couple weeks ago I went to start it and it fired right up as it usually does. I then released the brake pedal and it died right out, and I could not get it started again. I assumed it had something to do with the safety seat mechanism and gave that a good look at and it appeared to be working fine. ( that is I bypassed the seat switch and poured some fuel into carb and it fired right up and again died) The thing is I can force feed it fuel through the carb and keep it running indefinetely with both the brake pedal depressed and released. So I'm thinking it must be the fuel pump, so I replace it with one out of a spare m18 magnum and I get it running and use it for several hours without incident and shut it down. I go to start it up about a week later and the exact same thing happens. So I'm thinking it could be a coincidence that the fuel pumps were just at the end of their life. Although when I'm "feeding it fuel" and disconnect the fuel line post pump it appears to be pumping pretty well. I do not have a way to see how much pressure their is. So I start looking things over a little closer and realize that a part of the carb is loose. It is the piece opposite the manifold that turns up 90 degrees and the air cleaner bolts on top of it.( I know, I know I sound like a moron) The gasket was chewed up so I made another gasket and put it on and tightened things up thinking this was the culprit.. but I'm having the same problem, I still can only get it running by pouring fuel into carb. I have a new fuel pump to install but I'd rather not put it on if it's not needed. (times are tight) Where should I go from here.. What am I overlooking. Anything particular to the tractor or is it just engine related.Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks ken

·
Senior Tinkerer
1,591 Posts
Have you dropped the carb bowl and checked for crud in there?
If that is clean and the needle valve appears to be working OK, maybe clean the whole carb.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Check all of the safety switchs ie. seat, brake and if it has drive ones also.
Use a schematic from sonneys or if you have one all ready.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have looked at the seat and the brake safety switches but what really baffles me is why would it run indefinitely when I pour fuel into the carb. Don't all of those safety switches only control the electrcal....It has fire and the fuel pump is a mechanical one, so it seems to me that because of this I could rule out anything on the electrical side? Am I correct in this? thanks ken

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Actually your right so it must be afuel thing because it has spark and compression.
Check the trouble shooting manual, I will have to think on this a bit as I am driving get back with you on it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
gently try to put air to the end that connects to the filter (blowing back toward the tank.) Just see if the line is plugged or if the shut-off valve is blocked.

Run the screws down on the carb and back them out about 1 turn and tune it up from there. I JUST have mine tuned in nice after about 40 hours of use this summer.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Could the gas cap vent be clogged? Try starting and running it without the gas cap on.

Jason

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Also check the tank fuel filter not the inline one if all filters are good and the lines are not starting to decay and expand as fuel soaks in them and all adjustments on the carb are right then it sounds like the pump.
The fuel system is a very simple system as per the drawing in the service manual so it should not be hard to solve.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Sounds like the pump is out.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I'm with G-1, I had a similar problem with my 1010 dozer. Drove me insane for 6 months, I knew it was fuel related. I spent hours going through the fuel system, tearing down the carb, removing the sediment bowl, etc. I could pull the fuel line off at the carb and fuel would pour out full stream. I pulled the needle valve and seat out and low and behold was a small chunk of dirt just big enough to plug the hole thru the seat. It would take a while after cleaning each time before it would settle back into the hole. So, each time I would think I had it, 30 minutes later, same thing all over again.

My 2 cents says if you're getting spark, it's not the safety switches. If you can dump fuel in and make it run, it has to be fuel system problems. Take the carb off, take it completely apart and blow it out with compressed air and some carb cleaner.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I can get plenty of fuel pumping out of the pump when I pour fuel into carb and disconnect fuel line before it enters the carb... but it may not be pumping as strong as it needs to be??... That sound like the ticket, I'll start with the carb and if that doesn't take care of it I'll install the new pump. Thanks for the input. many thanks ken

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I checked the carb it looked pretty good a little gunk so I cleaned it out and put on the new pump and it's back to it's old self... running like a champ. Thanks for the input, it's much appreciated

·
Registered
108 Posts
Glad to hear you got her back in shape. I absolutely love my GT2000. It's parked in the garage instead of the barn... I call it my "Cadillac". Really, I do. My "big tractor" is the old Ford, then there's the "little tractor" or "cub", then there's the "Cadillac". Wonderful machine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts