My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Tractor addict
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I got a GT18-H or a SS16-H last fall. It needs a lot of TLC to say the least. I'm looking at slowly getting it ready to be fixed up right now, not sure if I really want to start it or let it sit until spring. If we had snow I wouldn't even be thinking of it either...

Here's the history on it...
http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=166802
http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=195226

Unfortunately, this tractor was a victim of fire. How ever it got very lucky in several ways. As I started on it last fall I found the rubber lines to the trans cooler were not even singed. I also got to playing with the engine some and I have found it seems to be savable so far. The bad though, there's nothing left on the tractor to identify its exact model. Also, anything that could have been melted has been melted from the dash forward.

I've been watching for parts here and there but have not come up with much. I need some help locating them, I'm guessing I'm not looking in the right places on Ebay and craigslist.:banghead3

So far my list of things to do.
Find ALL the electrical parts for the Onan that I have for it.(18XSL not original unfortunately)
Find a new dipstick for both the trans and the engine.
Find a new air filter housing for the engine.
(growing soon)

I'm on the hunt for a engine of the correct model for the tractor too, but I'm not sure how many appendages that will cost me. I unfortunately don't know the correct engine models for it though.

This is going to be a tough one, but hopefully well worth it in the end. I will grab some pictures of the tractor as it sits at the farm now this weekend. I will grab some pictures later today hopefully. If I can dig the engine out of it's corner. I had to hide it from thieves after my garage got broken into last fall.

·
SEARS TRACTOR COLLECTAH
1,386 Posts
At first I had no idea SS/16 hydros even existed. I thought it was just the GT/18 Hydrodrive that existed. If the engine is a 16hp, It should be the BF/MS. If it's an 18hp, I could be either the B48M or BG/MS. Although i don't believe the B48M had an oil filter. I see onans pop up on ebay every so often. keep an eye out for a cub cadet or old JD with a bad rear end or something. Most JD's & IH Cubs of the same vintage had the same engines. - Brad

·
Tractor hoarder/collector
2,455 Posts
Yes ive seen 1 16 or 18 hydro! i think it was a 16 hydro! that was yellow and white....Does the motor have an oil filter? u got any good pics of it? I might be able to help...

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,876 Posts
Motor is non original, its a 16/6 Hydro. Never seen one in SS/16 form.

·
Tractor addict
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Engine does have an oil filter.

Now that I think about it I do have a GT18-H manual with #'s on it and info that is correct to the tractor. it could be a repaint or maybe an odd ball.

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,876 Posts
A GT18 has the pto pedal Bill, yours has the lever that was used thru 77.

·
SEARS TRACTOR COLLECTAH
1,386 Posts
Engine does have an oil filter.

Now that I think about it I do have a GT18-H manual with #'s on it and info that is correct to the tractor. it could be a repaint or maybe an odd ball.
Your engine must be a BG/MS then. I'm quite sure the B48M didn't have a filter. if there's no tags on the motor, You could always pull one of the heads and measure the cylinder bore with a caliper. The BG/MS used an oddball bore. Unlike any other onan. - Brad

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,199 Posts
The B48M on Hydro's did have filters. At least Hughs did

·
SEARS TRACTOR COLLECTAH
1,386 Posts
Bill, After watching one of your videos. I think that engine is deffinately replacement. Unless its an ultra rare one of a kind machine LOL. The air cleaner, Starter, And shroud are inconsistant with A B48M. The B48M's had round air cleaners, And the shrouds were identical to the BF & BG engines. Your shroud has more of a ducted tapered curve just like the P series engines. Plus your starter is mounted on the left side of the engine. The only onan that was used on a Sears tractor with that type of starter mounting was the B48G, Which was used on the '79 & '80 19.9's. If I were to lay all my cards on the table, I would bet that your engine is either a B48G, P216 or 18. - Brad

·
Tractor addict
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The engine is a P218 and was put in the tractor around 1990. I'm just not sure as to what engine actually belongs in the tractor. I'm up at my grandfathers farm right now so I complete access to the tractor. Except that it's hidden on my trailer up in a grove of trees and it's so foggy you can't see you hand at arms distance from your face.

I'm thinking of bringing the trans home with me. I know I'm going to need to make a new grill for it. I'm not going to keep it original as I don't like the fiberglass. I have a good nose cone and hood though. I'm not sure what I will do with those yet either.

:thanku:

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Bill,

The original would of been a BF/MS just like any other SS/16. Although, in some ways the P218 is an upgrade. The P218 was 48 ci whereas the BF/MS was 40 ci. The P218 had electronic ignition whereas the BF/MS had breaker points, the electronic is MUCH HOTTER than the points. Then there is the obvious benefits of the oil filter. Some of the later P series engines had the crappy thinner valves, no tappet spinners, and weak valve seats, but I believe you may be really lucky and have an early one that was not cheapened up so much. There are a couple of upgrades you should just plan on doing right away though. The fly-ball retainer on the old B series was metal and never wore out or gave any problems. When they went to the P series they went to a plastic retainer that was total junk! It probably melted down in the fire so that engine will effectively have no governor. MTF member boomers_influence sells used Onan parts; give him a hollar and get yourself a cam for a B43G, B48M, or B48G as they are all as hot as you can get. They will also have the old style metal retainer. Also, you will probably want to upgrade to the B series oil pan and starter configuration. The starter that mounted to the bottom of the number one cylinder jug had a nasty habit of breaking the mounting bosses off of the block. Again, boomer should be able to help you out here. He will probably also have all of the ignition components that you need to get that motor back up and running.

Joe

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.