My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Carpe DM
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new neighbor was mowing his lawn the other day and noticed that he has a GX345. My question is what is the difference between a GX and a GT.

·
Super Moderator
17,140 Posts
The GX series has Hydraulic lift & power steering (except GX325) and can take a hydrulic tiller other than that the really are very similar except for diffrent trans because the GX trans is ported for a Hydraulic lift cylinder and a power steering cylinder. The attachment point are about the same meaning a snow blower for a GX will fit on a GT There are diffrence in the frame design as well. I think Both thractor have a K7 something can't remember I think they Both had Tuff-torq K71's but with diffrent variables in it. Either one will get the job done. Just the GX series has some more creature comforts. ie Hydraulic lift and power steering.
Hope this helps answer your question :thThumbsU

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
GT is a basic, lower cost garden tractor, where the GX a deluxe garden tractor with more features and longer life. GT's are sort of a hybrid tractor - the LX lawn tractor frame coupled with the GX rear hitch, transmission, and large tires. Nothing wrong with this at all. I have a GT myself.

The GX's are built off their own frame, which is quite a bit heavier than the LX/GT frame. Everything is heavier duty for longer life, and the before-mentioned features of hydraulic lift, power steering (most models), tilt wheel, and roomier accomodations.

Sort of a F150 vs F250 deal. Both get the job done, but one is going to do the heavier stuff longer.

·
Registered
89 Posts
In long life expectancy the lighter weight unit will in most cases last a tad longer when its apple's to apples (same trans/ same engines/same care). Power steering wears on a small tractors hydro too.
If memory serves me a GX is 100+lbs more weight and over time that added weight wears a tad faster on a hydro trans & engine. Hydros especially wear out fast if large hills are involved like my area and why I avoid Hydro units like the plague. I do have a pile of reminders neighbors & friends left for me to scrap someday soon..lol
Yes the K71 trans is more in the mid range so maintaining & limiting towing capacity within the units true capabilities are key to making one last longer but regardless how well its cared for its not going to last generations like older real Garden Tractors have.
One must understand the materials/designs are not even close to the true Garden Tractors of yesteryears gone bye.
These are no Wheel Horse or JD with engine/trans made of high grade tractor iron in/out so dont expect to use these tractors the way those old units will withstand without consequences for such actions. Nor will these operate countless attachments like true Garden Tractors that came before them.
Smoother riding? Oh yes these are like Lexus smooth but smooth certainly isnt worth all their major limitations. Not in the least!
GT is just a sticker but it once meant its a Garden Tractor but thats not been true in decades!
Sad to see whats rolled out of our factories, even more sad for the greatest generation who built us the best so very long ago to witness it all. Thank you all.
My first Wheel Horse I bought turns 45yrs old this season and never yet had its first major. Its Kohler still burns no oil between changes. Yes I sure do thank you all & I appreciate all your hard work! Lot of Hoosier pride & love went into the old Wheel Horse tractors. It still flows as you can tell by their owners, it still flows man.
I commend you all!(y)

·
Super Moderator
17,140 Posts
In long life expectancy the lighter weight unit will in most cases last a tad longer when its apple's to apples (same trans/ same engines/same care). Power steering wears on a small tractors hydro too.
If memory serves me a GX is 100+lbs more weight and over time that added weight wears a tad faster on a hydro trans & engine. Hydros especially wear out fast if large hills are involved like my area and why I avoid Hydro units like the plague. I do have a pile of reminders neighbors & friends left for me to scrap someday soon..lol
Yes the K71 trans is more in the mid range so maintaining & limiting towing capacity within the units true capabilities are key to making one last longer but regardless how well its cared for its not going to last generations like older real Garden Tractors have.
One must understand the materials/designs are not even close to the true Garden Tractors of yesteryears gone bye.
These are no Wheel Horse or JD with engine/trans made of high grade tractor iron in/out so dont expect to use these tractors the way those old units will withstand without consequences for such actions. Nor will these operate countless attachments like true Garden Tractors that came before them.
Smoother riding? Oh yes these are like Lexus smooth but smooth certainly isnt worth all their major limitations. Not in the least!
GT is just a sticker but it once meant its a Garden Tractor but thats not been true in decades!
Sad to see whats rolled out of our factories, even more sad for the greatest generation who built us the best so very long ago to witness it all. Thank you all.
My first Wheel Horse I bought turns 45yrs old this season and never yet had its first major. Its Kohler still burns no oil between changes. Yes I sure do thank you all & I appreciate all your hard work! Lot of Hoosier pride & love went into the old Wheel Horse tractors. It still flows as you can tell by their owners, it still flows man.
I commend you all!(y)
123GO this threads is almost 11 years Old that your responding to (y)
BTW My 17 year Old GX335 is still running strong! time will tell if it still here in another 28 years when I am in my 80's But I bet it will be and so should My JD X748

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Ahh, better late than never. My 1990 265 with 3000 hours on it is still sputtering along. Even though I live on the side of a hill, used it to pull my Vermeer 630A stump grinder, a half cord wood trailer, and mow fields with grass over the hood. That old Sundstrand must be a good hydro.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts