My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my GT-5000 is less then a week old and has 2.2 hours on it. It has started somewhat of a rattle and I can not tell if it is coming fro the motor or the body. Usually starts once the motor is warmed up and running full throttle, does not seem to be there with a cold engine. (Which is pulling me away from body rattles). I have lifted the hood and taking it off so it is not that. If I decrease the speed it seems to either go away or is not as loud to the point so I can not hear it. I almost hate to say it but almost seems like a valve or something tapping or rattling. I have only ever had Briggs motors so that may be the way this is supposed to sound but, it is definitely different. I will be running it a lot this week to see if I can figure this out. I know very general description but has anyone experienced anything similar with their new one? I guess if I can not figure it out then I hope it gets worse and then call Sears so they can hear it!

Glenn

·
Registered
347 Posts
If its a Kohler they said they do sound a little more harsh. I had the same issue as well. However,I noticed a rattle on mine once but only when I was turning the steering wheel. So I removed the deck, and reinstalled it, and it seem to go away. I am guessing something was just touching a bit or misaligned so hopefully it stays away.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Does it do it with the deck up or down, deck on or off? Tractor moving or not?

·
Registered
5,509 Posts
If you hold a pipe to your ear and move the other end around, you can pinpoint where it's coming from. A stick works too for some sounds.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Well my GT-5000 is less then a week old and has 2.2 hours on it. It has started somewhat of a rattle and I can not tell if it is coming fro the motor or the body. Usually starts once the motor is warmed up and running full throttle, does not seem to be there with a cold engine. (Which is pulling me away from body rattles).

Glenn
Glenn,

I have what might be the same rattle on my Husqvarna LGT2554. If it's the same rattle, it's coming from the PTO assembly; I discovered by yanking on the mower drive belt and greeted by a clink-clunk. Only rattles when hot.
I have yet to discover what the cure is or if there is one as the PTO seems to have a bit of "slop" built in.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually I just went out to the garage and found the rattle or narrowed it way down.
I had it idling for about 3 minutes and it was fine. I then raised and lowered the deck it was fine. I placed my foot on the brake to run it around the yard and it started when I released the brake. I do not think it has anything to do with the heat of the motor anymore. When idling or riding the brake pedal it is bouncing a bit and in-turn causing a pretty good rattle. If I increase the engine speed the rattle is worse because the tractor is vibrating more. When riding it is bad also. If I place my foot against the pedal to take the bounce off the noise is gone. I can not tell really what is causing the bounce/rattle because the linkage looks like it is covered up from underneath (quick look). Sounds more like it is coming from the right hand side though (sitting on tractor). I can not check it while it is running though because the parking brake has to be set which then puts pressure against the brake pedal of course. I need to get someone to sit on it while looking around.

Any thoughts?

Worth calling Sears since it is a week old or do they all do it? My 1971 Sears Custom 8e brake/clutch bounces and rattles really bad but of course that is over 35 years old!

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Glenn

Since it involves the brake peddle, with the engine off, grab the brake peddle with your hand and shake it, push it, move it until you here the noise. You should be able to trace it down that way.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Sounds real familiar Franky. I have had the same with my YS4500 since it was new, a little over a year old now. Initially called Sears since it was under warrenty. After several visits from the clueless techs with no resolve I proceded as you have. Mine only does this with the blades engaged and brake/clutch released (increased vibration?) and increases or disapears on slopes or in turns sometimes and with a slight touch on the brake pedle it will dissapear. I have had my son sit on it, and run it up while I crawl all around it and have yet after about 50hrs of operation been able to pinpoint it. After removing the deck to examine the pulleys and pivot points for anything that appeard to be the cause, the rattle minimized for a bit, but its still there. Almost seems like it may be the deck support rods rattling against the frame as I can see where paint is worn off, but I just keep using it and it keeps working. I gave up with the thought that when its gets to be a 'problem' rather than an anoyance, the source will rear its ugly head. Until then Ill keep working it as usual. Good luck and keep us posted with what you find.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Just wanted to add my experience with a rattle, may not be related to the issues presented here but might help someone in a diagnosis.

Apparently, the baffles in the muffler (26hp Briggs), get jolted loose and vibrate and this has been an issue for some time. According to the Sears service tech who came out, a large backfire may cause this and would be followed by louder than normal exhaust. I didn't notice any louder sounds but may have been like this for a long time. The only fix, in my case, was a new muffler. But I had engine troubles at the time so all of this was taken care of.

Hope this helps someone.
Terry

·
15,000 +posts!
20,408 Posts
Your Custom probably lost the little "leaf spring" that goes under the footrest and bears against the pedal rod..I read about that being a common dilema on one of the vintage sears tractor sites..Both of my Compacts clutch pedals rattle like crazy due to that strap type spring missing too..I may get annoyed enough to try enlarging the holes the rod goes through and put plastic bushings in them,or weld in a peice of pipe that I could put a grease zerk in someday..maybe just a regular spring will provide enough tension to silence the noise too...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts