My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you know, I am looking for a new lawnmower, I have been looking at the x300 series, but the other day one of the salesman at the local jd dealer mentioned they had a gt235, so i looked at it tonite on my way into town, looks like a solid mower. I was wondering if anyone had any info on them??? What would be a fair price??

Thanks

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,643 Posts
What year is the one at the dealer? They have either a B&S Vanguard engine or a Kawasaki, both are good engines. The Kawa came on the 2003 -2005 models, B&S was 99-02. I have the B&S in mine, it has been an outstanding GT. It's equivalent to the X500 of today, same tranny, comes with a 48 or 54 deck, manual lift (some have a handle, some a foot pedal), no PS, no hydraulics. It will take a sleeve hitch and a belt driven tiller, and I believe a snowblower (I have never used one of those). Mine has been a dedicated mower and trailer puller.

A fair price for one in good shape (nothing missing or broken) with average hours could run from about $1900-2000 for an early model to $2500-2600 for a later one. Implements , baggers, etc would increase the value somewhat. I paid $3999 for mine, with a 48C deck, new in 2002.

·
Registered
310 Posts
They are good machines. The GT 235 is equivalent to the current x500. Could have a Briggs Vanguard V-twin or Kawasaki V-twin. I have seen one here sell for $1800 with only 200 hrs. Pricing depends on hrs, condition, year, and your location.

Edit: Yeah what he said. :fing32:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, this one has a handle for the deck lift, so im assuming that is an earlier model, so probably has the Briggs motor???? I will try to find out more, hopefully on Tuesday. I appreciate all the help sounds like it is built tougher than the x300's that i have been looking at

thanks

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,643 Posts
It's a definite step up from the X3. Rated for ground engagement tasks. No issues for the series; it was the basic model, the GX was the loaded version. If it is a reasonable price, I'd rather buy a used one of those vs a new X3. My B&S version has been mechanically trouble-free; I did split the hood a few years ago, I chalk it up to cold weather brittleness when I pulled on the hood to lift it for maintenance. That isn't unheard of for many different models.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have a GT 235 since 2001, no problems at all. I used it to cut peoples yards for a while. I ran it hard and it still runs very good. It has the briggs engine. The year they came out with the kawasaki engines is when they did away with the lift lever. If you ever come across a gx model, you might want to consider it too. It has all of the power features, makes cutting grass a little easier.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I purchased a GT235 with the Kawasaki engine with a digital hour meter in the dash. I thought it was an '03( the original owner said he purchased it in '02) after running the serial numbers thru my local JD store the purchase date was Oct. '02.

After talking with the JD store owner he stated that JD made the change over from the Vanguard to Kawasaki in the mid/later part of '02. The digital hour meter was introduced around the same time period.

The '99 thru '03 models had the hand lift lever

The '04/'05 models had the foot operated deck lift

I've owned. bought and sold a bunch of there stuff. One of my favorites is the GT235. They were/are a good value.

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
Dont go with the X300 Because of the Infamous TT k46, The GT235 should be a great running machine for many years to come. And later down the road you may want a garden and you will already have a great machine for it. Always go bigger than what you need, trust me. Now go get that GT235!!
:fing32:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts