My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about buying a GT 235 for next spring and was wondering what sort of hours I should be looking at? At what amount of hours should I start avoiding them ?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
all depends on how it was cared for.

Not the answer you wanted but I have seen machines with 200 hours I would not touch (at least not at the asking price) and others with 1500 that run like new.

Its all about the PO and not the hour meter...

when you get close post perticulars and a pic or two and folks can assist-

good luck hunting!

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
If it was me I would try and stay below 500 hrs, not that more would be any problem. Condition is a big thing too, see how clean it is, check for oil leaks, belts, blades all add up to money too if you have to replace them.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I think on the older GT235s -99 through 2002/3 or so, the hour meter was option so many or most of those will not have meters. You will need to judge by condition, how/where it was used (property size, mowing only or with snow remova, etc.). For the newer units with meters, machinefinder right now has a fair number of GT235s with the highest hour unit at about 830 with plenty well below that.

I was in your shoes in 2009 looking for a used GT225 or 235. I looked at a number of units and didn't have to consider anything over 300. There were plenty of well maintained, excellent condition options with low hours so why bother with the high hour units. There isn't much of a price break of something south of say less than 1000 in my experience, so why buy something with 600 when you get one with 250? And 1500 hours is still 1500 hours, not matter how well maintained and if it is a pristine unit, my guess the seller will still be looking for a premium price.

The GT235s seem to have been fairly popular, so there should be a fair number out there. I'd look for something under 300 hours in very condition personally, maybe less than 400 if necessary. You want to buy from someone who overbought, say a GT235 for 1/2 or 3/4 acre, no snow removal, no ground engaging work, just mowing and did your routine maintenance.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts