My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who have comparable models, when you jack up the front of your mower, how easy does the axle mover up and down? I have to put CONSIDERABLE force to move mine. I pulled the deck and removed the cotter key and even removed the large nut on the pivot shaft with no change in how the axle moves. No way to safely remove the shaft without using a hammer to remove the shaft.

I think the lack of movement is effecting the quality of my cut.

If I have to remove the shaft with a hammer i will have to remove motor because crankshaft will be in the way even after PTO is removed. Any ideas??

·
MTF Fan
183 Posts
The front axle should move freely. For example, if you jack up the tractor on the front frame, the axle should tilt to the heavier side. Apply 5 lbs of weight or similar thing on the opposite front tire and the axle will shift/ tilt to the other side.

·
Kish JD 318/420/430
3,807 Posts
Sounds like the whole pivot joint went out. So you looking at the bushings and the bolt needing replacement. When you get the front axle I would also drill the axle for a grease zerk.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I guess this will be a after cutting season project. I will just remove the engine and can take the chance to clean it all up..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts