My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
SEARS TRACTOR COLLECTAH
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I decided to once again tear into the 19.9. It was 49 degrees today, So I figured it would be a great day to work on it. So I removed the shroud to get a better look at the oil filter mount, And I could see where the grease is washed away on it. Then I took out both the spark plugs so I could spin the motor over faster. After building up a little oil psi the oil started gushing out! I thought to myself "There is no way the gasket is this bad". So I shook the oil filter mount, And sure enough it moved! The mounting bolts were loose. I took the oil filter mount off and the gasket was fine thankfully. So I temporarily put it back on and tightend the bolts, And it completely fixed the problem!!!!! YEAH!!! So now I just have to re-assemble everything. But before I do that I'm going to try to clean the motor a bit, You can see the oil and grease build up on the motor. Let me know what you guys think! - Brad

Here are the previous threads in case anyone's interested.
Part 1: http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=224855
Part 2:http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=225985

Attachments

·
Registered
368 Posts
No news like good news,, A good dousing of de greaser and a power wash and you should have a clean motor

d

·
7000 posts and climbing!
7,145 Posts
I saw an Onan with the original oil filter on it and it appeared to have a similar problem with oil leaking around the timing gear cover. The bolts came loose just like the way you described. The gear cover must be a common place for oil to escape when the oil filter has not been changed as required.

:howdy::dunno::praying::thanku::drunkie::MTF_wel2:

·
SEARS TRACTOR COLLECTAH
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No news like good news,, A good dousing of de greaser and a power wash and you should have a clean motor

d
Yeah thanks BMR. I'm going to blast the whole motor with some good degreaser and let it soak for a bit. Getting all the crap off should make the engine run cooler too. - Brad

·
SEARS TRACTOR COLLECTAH
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I saw an Onan with the original oil filter on it and it appeared to have a similar problem with oil leaking around the timing gear cover. The bolts came loose just like the way you described. The gear cover must be a common place for oil to escape when the oil filter has not been changed as required.

:howdy::dunno::praying::thanku::drunkie::MTF_wel2:
Yeah I was reading a thread about the onans having oil leaks near the timing cover too. Not changing the oil filter will definately develope some problems. Sometimes the oil filter will clog right up and cause gaskets to fail. I find it hard to believe that these bolts vibrated loose, It was probably worked on in the past and the bolts weren't tightened properly. I'm hoping I solved all the problems.:praying: I've never had so many problems with a tractor before like this one. Hopefully the Roper 20T I'm trying to get won't have so many problems lol. - Brad

·
SEARS TRACTOR COLLECTAH
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, it sounds like regular oil & filter changes would be a big help but it does sound like the timing cover bolts could use some thread sealant.
Yeah since I have the flywheel off I will do that just to be safe. Better safe than sorry. - Brad

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Maybe that mount came loose from years of changing the filter. Sometimes the filters get put on to tight. Each time you change the filter you tork it one way to spin off and the other way to spin on. Little by little it made it wiggle ? :dunno:

I have one with a oil pressure line for a gage tapped in on that bracket. It's a leaky mess also. I thought the line was leaking but I'll have to check the bracket.

·
Premium Member
2,207 Posts
brad
that thing SURE is dirty.
if it were mine i would also remove the engine and all the tins.
then WASH, WASH, and WASH again.
but it has been my experience that this BAKED
on dirt is really hard to get off.
thank you boomer ( the used onan engine parts guy )

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
brad
:ditto::ditto::ditto::ditto::ditto::thThumbsU:thThumbsU

·
SEARS TRACTOR COLLECTAH
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Maybe that mount came loose from years of changing the filter. Sometimes the filters get put on to tight. Each time you change the filter you tork it one way to spin off and the other way to spin on. Little by little it made it wiggle ? :dunno:

I have one with a oil pressure line for a gage tapped in on that bracket. It's a leaky mess also. I thought the line was leaking but I'll have to check the bracket.
That could be. Most oil filters are screwed on way to tight by the owners. And the oil filter on this had the little bolt type thingy so it could be turned with a wrench. Yeah since the engine had an oil leak I figured I'd put a cheap oil psi gauge on it. I always check my oil every time before I start the engine, But in case another leak happens while i'm mowing or something, Atleast I'll know about it. - Brad

·
SEARS TRACTOR COLLECTAH
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
brad
Yeah boomer I think the motor has more oil on the outside than it has in the oil pan lol. I'm going to remove the tins and electrical stuff so I can degrease it. I really don't want to tear the tractor apart again, But If I have to I will. The crud on the motor wipes right off with a rag, Its not baked on. It will be an easy clean up. - Brad

·
SEARS TRACTOR COLLECTAH
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oven cleaner works well for that type of crud...dont let it stay on too long though--only a few minutes tops...it'll eat and pit aluminum ,so keep it off it or wash it off right away...
Yeah I've heard that. I use engine degreaser made by GUNK, It works super good. I used it to clean my motor in my truck. It melts the crud and grease right off. - Brad

·
SEARS TRACTOR COLLECTAH
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
brad
you are missing the point
this stuff is BAKED on.
i took two blocks to a machine shop that had the SUPER dishwasher.
it still did not get them clean after two cycles.
thank you. boomer
Boomer, I know exactly what your talking about. I have worked on a couple old 2 stroke detroit diesels before where it seemed the grease was one with the engine. But the crud on this motor isn't baked on, I can literally wipe it off with my finger. The oil leak on the motor kept the stuff from baking on. - Brad

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.