My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know where I might find a trans for this baby? Just got her a few weeks ago. Changed the starter gear and got her running half decent.

If I can't find a trans I'll have to sell her :praying:

002 copy.jpg

003 copy.jpg

004 copy.jpg

·
Registered
579 Posts
do you know what kind of trans it is?, i might have one

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is all new to me so I really am not sure how to identify the trans. What I do know is that it has two ranges (Hi / Low) with 6 speeds in each range.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Need the year of the tractor; you can find the year of the engine and work from there. The engine's numbers should be on the front side / driver's left of the engine; you need the last 8-digit number of which the first two digits will be the year.

From there, go to http://www.buymtdonline.com/ and do a parts search, parts search by model for MTD / *MTD Legacy / Tradesman / etc.

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
being that you have a pretty common MTD garden tractor, i think it wouldnt be too hard to find one with a bad motor and swap the trannys

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your help I really apprciate it greatly!

Looks like a 1993

Did a drill down on the MTD site and it came up with 2 possibility's neither look like they will work. I understand that the old parts are superseded but the layout looks wrong. Particularly the gear shift selector.

Attachments

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
If you sell her I'll buy her with out the engine.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
How did that happen. You must have really whacked something. There should be a number on that transmission. I have one that might fit in my shop.
Nick

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry took so long to answer back! I hope to pull the trans this week. I'll let ya know.

thanks

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
Can we have a link to the replacement tranny so we can help?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Ahh haa another one

This is the same thing that has happened with mine. I beleive what has happened here, and with mine is that the Hi / Lo was not fully engage on one side or the other. it seems that the the forks inside get looses or worn.

My housings are also cracked pretty good, and they are not available. I also had several geras with broken teeth, have you had any luck finding a transaxle.

I understand that the 717-1161 is an old number and that th e new number is 753-0598. Other than that they appear rarer than hens teeth.

Sorry to bogart your thread, but does anyone have one of these?
:trink40:
Birge

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ahh haa another one

This is the same thing that has happened with mine. I beleive what has happened here, and with mine is that the Hi / Lo was not fully engage on one side or the other. it seems that the the forks inside get looses or worn.

My housings are also cracked pretty good, and they are not available. I also had several geras with broken teeth, have you had any luck finding a transaxle.

I understand that the 717-1161 is an old number and that th e new number is 753-0598. Other than that they appear rarer than hens teeth.

Sorry to bogart your thread, but does anyone have one of these?
:trink40:
Birge
I have looked all over but still no luck. I did find one on EBay for $750 which is totally out of the Question! I wonder if any other trans axle could be retrofitted in its place.

Did of 3

·
Registered
51 Posts
yeah I have seen the Ebay ones for 750 up to 1026, too me its just not worth it either. :trink39:

·
Finally at 1k!
1,518 Posts
Well, my 837 dont have a trans like that. Mine has a much tougher trans. Weird yours blew. Mine wines like a sob but runs, drive and mows fine.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have looked all over but still no luck. I did find one on EBay for $750 which is totally out of the Question! I wonder if any other trans axle could be retrofitted in its place.

Did of 3
yeah I'm not sure about the retro fit, I have somewhat ried, I had a guy tell me that a 618 series would work. I ended up buying one, and it fits under the tractor however nothing lines up after that, the mounts don;t work, the brake is on the oppoite side of the pedal and so on, I just didn;t feel very confident even after it was underneath that it would move ever agin thus I haulted and went back to looking

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I never did find a trans for this machine. If anyone can help find one I'd greatly appreciate it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
:banghead3

I give up... If anyone is interested I will be selling this tractor. Engine runs great! I think it must be worth at least $200.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts