My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a carb rebuild kit for my Gt-18 and was wondering what is the best way to take off the carburator? I have never done this before. Could somebody give me some advice please. There are 2 bolts holding the carb and I can't get a wrench on them.

Attachments

·
Registered
188 Posts
When I did mine I took off the whole intake to get to them, also I changed the gaskets with the new ones the rebuild kit came with. Made it much easier to work with for me.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I got the carb rebuilt, got it attached and all hooked up. I started it up and it was smoking like crazy and gas was spitting out of the carburator and it would not idel. So I was reading here and it sounded like a stuck carb float. I took off the top of the carb and fixed that. It started right up and was ideling ok.

It still idels a little rough and I am trying to adjust that. I'm trying that with the air cleaner off. Is that the proper way to do it. I just cannot seem to get it down to a smooth idel. Should the air cleaner be on?

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
I know some twins give a lopey idle, Hugh has a youtube video of his Onan lope at low idle, they sound like a big block with a huge cam when idled down low enough. I have a twin Briggs on dad's ole Craftsman, it will lope if I turn it down to low.
Maybe you got a small leak somewhere along the seam of the intake as it's 2 piece and can crack open in spots.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks TAHOE99, when I took off the top of the carb to check the float I noticed some junk in the carb bowl, little black flakes. I assume it was from the fuel lines which I replaced and now I know I should have blown them out even when new. So now I'm going to take the needle back out and blow out a few things while the carb is still on the engine (carefully I might add). Also had to take out the new spark plugs and clean them because of the flooding. Next will be the oil change. Hope it works. I am anxious to see if that electric sleeve assist will lift my tiller or if the tiller will lift my front end.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts