My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was mowing on uneven ground with my GS6500 when it stopped. I didn't hit anything, it just stopped. When I tried to restart it all I got was a ratcheting clicking sound from the the starter area. The battery is fully charged - lights and Johnny "Bucket work" but nothing happens. Where would be the best logical place to start looking before I jump into this? It has a 26HP Kohler Courage engine.

Thanks,
Steve

·
4K Poster!!!
4,503 Posts
Check all electrical connections from the battery to the solenoid to the starter. Take them off and clean them so they're shiny. Then do the same with all of the ground connections. Check the starter-to-engine and engine-to-frame grounds especially. It sounds like you're not getting enough current flow to the solenoid. That could be caused by a weak battery, or bad connections.
If that doesn't find the problem, it's time to drag out the multi-meter.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Check all electrical connections from the battery to the solenoid to the starter. Take them off and clean them so they're shiny. Then do the same with all of the ground connections. Check the starter-to-engine and engine-to-frame grounds especially. It sounds like you're not getting enough current flow to the solenoid. That could be caused by a weak battery, or bad connections.
If that doesn't find the problem, it's time to drag out the multi-meter.
Ditto,
Clicking while starting on my previous tractor was usually the battery connections.

Also, make sure that your PTO is off (If you were just mowing)

·
Plowboy
91 Posts
sounds like a starter solenoid to me. not sure why it shut off, but the solenoid is probably burned out. simple fix. Follow the positive wire it should end at the solenoid followed by the wire going from the solenoid to the starter. just to be sure take a screwdriver and touch it to both of the large wires if it turns over then it's bad. It's suppose to make a loud click when the key goes into the start position. Which indicates that its getting power from the key.

Attachments

·
4K Poster!!!
4,503 Posts
sounds like a starter solenoid to me. not sure why it shut off, but the solenoid is probably burned out. simple fix. Follow the positive wire it should end at the solenoid followed by the wire going from the solenoid to the starter. just to be sure take a screwdriver and touch it to both of the large wires if it turns over then it's bad. It's suppose to make a loud click when the key goes into the start position. Which indicates that its getting power from the key.
The solenoid may not be getting enough voltage to hold it in, if the battery or connections are bad. Jumping the two large terminals should energize the starter, but is not a real test of the solenoid, as it does not test the wiring or connections.

·
Plowboy
91 Posts
If it's clicking, that means its grounded and is getting power from the starter switch. If it's not turning over bypassing the solenoid indicates whether the starter is bad or the solenoid is bad. Also if the solenoid is clicking it means the safety switches are in their neutral positions.

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got stuck on 12 hour shifts right after I made the original post and couldn't work on this or try any of the suggestions. What I did was replace the the battery. I seemed to be okay and took a charge with no real problem, but I was in Sears and they were stocking a new batch of DieHard Golds on the shelf. I bought one and installed it. Everything seems to be OK now. I do use my Johnny Bucket alot, maybe that had something to do with the battery not holding a charge for very long. Thanks for all of your help.

Steve

1 - 8 of 8 Posts