My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had this smoking problem in the winter while plowing and thought it was water in fuel but now my GS6500 smokes like crazy approx. 5-10 seconds after I fire it up. It is the a ton of smoke at first then it calms down little only blowing smoke every now and then as I roll on. My 2stoke snowmobile produces less smoke than my tractor! It is definatley burning oil off the exhaust but where do I start to find the problem? It's got 50hrs on it. Any thoughts as to how oil is collecting in the exhaust would be great.

·
Registered
292 Posts
im not sure what engine you have so if you could list that some one might be able to give you a better idea but right off hand the only thing i can think of is either the oil is the wrong weight or too much oil was put in or maybe you got the gas cans mixed up and put your 2stroke gas in it? or a valve problem

·
Landscaping Nut
1,362 Posts
Is your air filter clean. Had startup smoke problem on mine(DGS6500). Had done lots of mulching stopping up air filter real good. Cleaning filter fixed it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
mchappa,
I'm not sure what is causing the problem either, but, did notice that you only have 50 hours. If your mower is still under warranty, you may just want Sears to fix it and tell you what the problem was.

Housten

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
What kind of oil are you using?

·
Registered
9 Posts
check the float in your carb, if it's stuck, it will allow the oil to mix with the filter. remove air filter and turn engine over, if it splashes up, you have mixture

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's a 2006 and has the Kohler engine. I used 5w-30 for oil. The smoke is thick and is blue-ish. I checked the air filter and it is clean but I will still need to check the carb float. Oil level is good. Plugs are good. It only has 50hrs but it is out of warranty. It's got fresh gas.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
It's a 2006 and has the Kohler engine. I used 5w-30 for oil. The smoke is thick and is blue-ish. I checked the air filter and it is clean but I will still need to check the carb float. Oil level is good. Plugs are good. It only has 50hrs but it is out of warranty. It's got fresh gas.
What kind of 5w-30 oil? If it's synthetic, that's your problem!!!

·
Certified Technician
8,590 Posts
Say no more. PRoblem is most likely a blown head gasket on one cylinder...The Command Twins had a run of units with this problem. Usually happens pretty early in the life of the engine.

Leakdown test will confirm, compression test will tel lyou which one most likely is blown.

My 25hp Command does the same as yours, left side is blown, bad...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes I did use synthetic, if it is was a blown head gasket I would think it would run like crap all the time??

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Yes I did use synthetic, if it is was a blown head gasket I would think it would run like crap all the time??
The problem is you glazed your cylinder walls, by using synthetic before the engine was broke in.

Kohler states in the manual

NOTE: Synthetic oils meeting the listed
classifications may be used with oil changes
performed at the recommended intervals.
However, to allow piston rings to properly
seat, a new or rebuilt engine should be
operated for at least 50 hours using standard
petroleum based oil before switching to
synthetic oil.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I checked the oil that I used and it was synthetic blend am I looking at a big job or just changing oil.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Change the oil and filter with some good 10w-30 oil, not a synthetic. Run it for 5 hours, and change it again with a non-synthetic and run it for 10hrs. Change it again with non-synthetic and run it until you get to 100hrs on your hour meter. Maybe it will seat the rings by then.
The biggest thing is get the synthetic out of there.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts