My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my first round of potatoes out of the barrels. I am looking forward to trying to get some more this fall for the winter. But I am having problems locating seed potatoes. They are out of season. Can I utilize some of the small potatoes that I just picked? Or can I go to a all natural store and use some of there potatoes, if there is such a place. I was told not to use grocery store potatoes, because of the process that they use to grow them.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
If you try to plant potatoes from a grocery store you risk getting potatoes that have been treated with a growth retardant. I think we've all experienced how that doesn't stop them from growing in our cupboards though.

Certified seed potatoes are recommended because they're guaranteed to be free of viruses. Since you're growing in barrels and can easily change the soil if you develop problems there's nothing wrong with replanting your small potatoes.

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
I've used both grocery store & small "left overs", both will sprout under good growing conditions!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts