My Tractor Forum banner

Group workshop, tool chest, tools, and tool organization thread.

13034 Views 485 Replies 28 Participants Last post by  GreaseZerk
Hey guys. I've just been browsing through this "section", or "area', or whatever it's called. Lots of interesting stuff here. But after reading @Mayor's post a few days ago, I thought that maybe we could start a new(er) thread with guys posting pictures of their garage/shop setups? I'd love to see how everybody has their shops and tool chests organized.

I've been buying a lot of new tools lately, but my tool chest is already pretty full. I could obviously either buy another one, or use the old pegboard, but I'm considering just using the Milwaukee Packout organizers, so that I can not only use them in my shop, but also throw them in the truck for easy transport. Not sure about that yet though.

I figure everybody can post pictures of their stuff here, and their reviews of that stuff as well. Do you have any tools that you've bought that you either found that you love or hate? If so, why? How do you have your tool drawers organized? Let's see!

I do need a new bench grinder, so I'd like input on what you guys use and like.

I just thought that most of us probably fall into the "tool junkie" category, so we'd all get a kick out of seeing how others have stored their stuff, and maybe get ideas from each other. I'm always reading posts in other threads about what one of you guys has improvised to work for you, and thought to myself "that's ingenious"! So, maybe we can see some stuff that you've come up with for your shops, and maybe help the rest of us in this area as well.

So, LET'S SEE YOUR SHOPS, TOOLS, AND TOOL STORAGE!!! I'm anxious to see everybody's pictures! Come on guys, "get your bragging on" LOL.......
See less See more
Reactions: 1
421 - 440 of 486 Posts
Used the saw cart for the first job today. Had to cut 25 metal balusters to 3 lengths. Built in support arm was perfect and was able use the other support as a stop for easy repeat length cuts.

View attachment 2585636
What are you building?
See less See more
Staircase at a house we're building. I won't take credit for building it, just having the best tool for cutting the metal.

Adam
  • Haha
Reactions: 4
How long do you think until it's finished (the staircase)? I hope you post pictures of it. I'd like to see it!
Reactions: 2
How long do you think until it's finished (the staircase)? I hope you post pictures of it. I'd like to see it!
Probably today. Just needs to pop the balusters in, but he was working on the mantle when I dropped them off.
  • Wow
Reactions: 3
FedEx does not go the extra mile because they do not allow them too. They are allotted 2 minutes per stop. No matter if it is only 30 seconds extra for them, the time they shave off your stop will help negate the extra time dealing with a difficult delivery down the road.

They are non-union too and thus have no Union protection should they breach the 2 minute stop time.

What is the big deal about a Jack being out in the rain considering the oil, grease paint and whatnot it’s going to get? Maybe this is just me, but I sure wished my biggest complaint of the day was a package containing a big chunk of metal getting possibly wet. I got a lot bigger problems then that!
///////////

OK++So his was a metal jack--how about the next item that maybe can't get wet and the next?
See less See more
///////////

OK++So his was a metal jack--how about the next item that maybe can't get wet and the next?
Ya, I kind of already went through that. I commented, and then talked to Mark about it, and he modified my comment to be a little more diplomatic (rightfully so). I wouldn't want the thread to digress over maybe somebody just having a bad day or something like that. We've all done it (well maybe not all, but certainly I have), not a big deal to me. Mark kind of helped me see things in a different perspective. Thanks Mark!
See less See more
They are non-union too and thus have no Union protection should they breach the 2 minute stop time.
That doesn't sound right...they are not union, because they are independent contractors...they are their own boss.....which is probably why they drop and run ...they are hustling.......around here their service is fine
See less See more
That doesn't sound right...they are not union, because they are independent contractors...they are their own boss.....which is probably why they drop and run ...they are hustling.......around here their service is fine
I've seen my UPS guy literally running on some days. They're definitely not slouching it. I used to know a guy that worked for UPS. I want to say that hey told me that they get paid for their 8 hours even if they are able to complete their routes faster, like in 6 hours or something like that, so they're inclined to get done as quickly as possible.
See less See more
All my wife's packages get brought right to the front door, under the porch. We have a circular driveway, but they often don't use it, depending on the driver. Our UPS guys don't run, but the FedEx girl does, and she can lift 60 lb. boxes. She is not big either. :eek:
  • Wow
Reactions: 5
"That doesn't sound right...they are not union ..."

I saw that earlier Mark and ... it raised a burr in my saddle.
As a whole, despite the occasional drop-and-go newbie; all of our delivery drivers seem to be professional and do a good job up here where we are in rural N.H.
Don't think that they require, or necessarily need union protection ... to do so (y)
See less See more
33 year UPS employee, 30 in Package and the last 3 in Feeders. UPS has always had strict expectations of A Fairs Days Work for a Fair Day Pay. Back before Computers it was based solely on the number of stops.. If you took more than 2/10th of an hour longer than they thought you should be, up in the office if they wanted to bust on you. Didn’t matter how many packages or sizes, CODs or traffic,.100 envelopes or 100 boxes of copier paper, no difference to them. I also spent time as the Union Steward, I had many fun conversations with management.. lol. Now every driver is electronically monitored.. too many to list. I could write a book to explain it all that..
I’ve always said anybody with good work ethics and common sense can do the job.. look at the address and bring it to the right house. However in my experience, ethics and common sense are rare commodities.. new hires have 30 days to make it or break it. back in the day 4/5 new drivers either couldn’t or wouldn’t do the job, then 8/10 gave up or denied a full time job..now they’ll take any warm body that will show up.
Good Service boils down to two things.. training, and just being a decent human being.. I never worried too much about management.. why? Because I did a good job.. no complaints, concerns, mis deliveries, missed pick ups.. etc. if I took 20-30 minutes longer than their computer said.. too bad. And most of them got that… so the bottom line is, work as directed and they won’t give you grief.. mess up and
up to the office we go! Yay! So Just work like we’re trained to.. Sounds easy, right? That could be a whole other book, you have no idea the stupid stuff guys do.
That leaves part two.. being a decent person and willing to take the extra steps to leave the package for the customer just how you’d like to find it if it was yours, not rocket scientist material. Lol.
Now UPS, as a Union workplace, we bid on the route we want in seniority order.. most guys get on a route and learn it, meet the customers, talk to them, knowing what they would like.. within reason.. makes the job easier.. don’t have to think about it,you know where to go and leave the package and stay on the route..I was on one route 15 years. I knew everyone..
Paid hourly. Average route has anywhere from 120-170 stops a day.
Fed ex uses a lot of contractors.. paid per package.. more packages delivered equal more money. End of story. Their regular employees, while there are plenty of good guys and gals, my experience tells me they don’t seem have the training and expectations from management. The places I’ve found their packages.. lol. Half the packages and less compensation.
Amazon? They are given their trucks in the order they walk thru the door.. rarely the same town twice. They don’t want skilled drivers with area knowledge, they might ask for more money.. the computer tells them where to go, but absolutely no repetitive daily route that allows the good service the customer expects.
I could go on, but that’s the cliff notes edition.
See less See more
Reactions: 5
We are getting pretty far off topic here...let's circle it around to the OP's original subject..Organized storage
@MARK (LI) shouldn't you already be in bed??? :) I apologize, this whole veering off-track is probably my own fault.

Font Event News Hat Formal wear
See less See more
I concur!!
Lookie at what I got today! 2 cases of Akro-Mils 11x11” bins, 12 total with dividers!
Packing materials Shipping box Rectangle Wood Carton
See less See more
  • Love
Those bins are love / hate (people love them or hate them).

My garage is WAY too dusty for any kind of open storage.

They are nice for working with. You can grab the bin of hardware that you need, and bring it to the work bench / area.

They're GREAT in an industrial setting, especially clean rooms (no dust).

Mike
See less See more
I agree. I love both my open and closed storage options. It is however, a love/hate with keeping dust out.
I blow out the garage several times a week with my Kobalt cordless blower. I hit as many surfaces as possible, but have to be a little more ginger on the trigger in some areas ;)

Renster
@MARK (LI) shouldn't you already be in bed??? :) I apologize, this whole veering off-track is probably my own fault.

View attachment 2585707
I went with it, too...then realized we were discussing home delivery and not home storage and organization 😬
See less See more
🙂Sorry for my long tirade.. just wanted to paint an overall picture of life in Bundle Land.. basically it boils down to whether the driver takes pride in his work.. which seems less and less common.. lol
We now return to our regularly scheduled programming! 😁

The bins will actually live up in cold storage.. and I don’t really have a need for them all, but got carried away.. basically will be for stuff like hinges, plumbing and electrical odds and ends. They’ll live on the metal shelves at the end of my newly built shelves..( you can kinda see them), they actually came from my Dads shop, this summer I hope to tear them apart, blast and paint as they’re a bit rusty.
Wood Floor Hardwood Flooring Gas
See less See more
  • Love
//////////////////////////
Talking of 'storage'--I just went by my favorite barbershop (old fashioned)--anyway--they have moved to a new location. Theme inside now is more masculine-garage type vibes. Old pictures around ,too. Red/black theme's-everything. The barber's 'stations' actually are Huskey- brand roll cabinet 10 drawer bottom toolboxes. Alternate red/black.....in each area. Pretty neat-still the same good service/same prices--much better location for walk in traffic.(y)(y)

Ah--Like I told "Gretchen', the stylist (can you call them that?)--I say--"Looks like your station in life is right here! You are all 'geared up'!
She pulls out one of the toolbox drawers--and says-Look at my drawers now!:LOL::p I can't stand it--way too much fun in the middle of the week....
glenn
See less See more
  • Love
  • Haha
We had a contractor here yesterday whose father owns a garage. He took one look at our tools, had nothing to do because of high wind outside and organized ever wrench, socket and pair of pliers we had in the shop.

These are NOT tools he even works with.

He said he had never been in a hydroelectric facility so I gave him the $1000 tour seeing as how he did all that organizing for us. As I said, he is a contractor employee and does not even work for us.
See less See more
  • Love
  • Wow
421 - 440 of 486 Posts