My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Ratchet Jaw old Member
10,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forvette sounds like a misspell , I nick named it That. Last Spring I bought two f-100 pick-up trucks. later I changed plans on the build , I decided to mount the F100 onto the C-4 vette.
Its been a slow process , because Im a old man and there's been several illnesses in my Family.
after the Vette and pick-up have been dismantled "totally" Im starting to see progress putting them together.
I stretched the vette frame 18 inches so the wheel base will match the truck. I rebuilt ALL of the front suspension, I will also do the rear suspension,later.
The truck cab is mounted as unibody to the frame, like the vette was mounted.
the last 4 days I have been mounting the engine and 700 trans, customers built motor mounts and tranny cross member, I recessed the fire wall 8 inches, the fire wall and floor are donned from a 2000 chevy truck. It took some doins , but it in there.

Attachments

·
Ratchet Jaw old Member
10,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the engine is a crate 454 engine , only 300 hp but with this set up , who needs horse power.
Im using all the vette parts that I can, like gas tank and I might mold in the vette rear body with tail lights onto the truck bed , we will cross that bridge when we get there

Attachments

·
Administrator
12,181 Posts
Long time, no hear, Don, glad to know your still at it on one project or other! The latest project is really interesting, I love the old F100 Ford. And with the Corvette undercarriage, and a 454 under the hood, it should be a great driver.

Keep the updates coming!

·
blinged out
1,088 Posts
I suggest you build the 700 a little stronger or be very gentle with the throttle application. my last big block build killed [2] 700 transmissions very quickly with the torque so I rebuilt the truck with an nv4500 then I needed to be able to shift quicker, now a richmond 5 speed.

·
Ratchet Jaw old Member
10,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Long time, no hear, Don, glad to know your still at it on one project or other! The latest project is really interesting, I love the old F100 Ford. And with the Corvette undercarriage, and a 454 under the hood, it should be a great driver.

Keep the updates coming!
Good to be back , Mike . I am really anxious to get to drive this one, My Wife Mary is kinda laying claim to this one .:tango_face_surprise

·
Ratchet Jaw old Member
10,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I suggest you build the 700 a little stronger or be very gentle with the throttle application. my last big block build killed [2] 700 transmissions very quickly with the torque so I rebuilt the truck with an nv4500 then I needed to be able to shift quicker, now a richmond 5 speed.
Im no mechanic by any means (of the internal parts ) a couple professional tech's has advised me that the 700 trans and torque converter is stronger then other GM vehicles .
Trial and error !! I won't be "full out drag racing" I do still have a habit of a nice burn out.:tango_face_grin:

·
Super Moderator
31,331 Posts
Im no mechanic by any means (of the internal parts ) a couple professional tech's has advised me that the 700 trans and torque converter is stronger then other GM vehicles .
Trial and error !! I won't be "full out drag racing" I do still have a habit of a nice burn out.:tango_face_grin:
Burn outs are not the problem.. its when it hooks up! Its a pretty mild BB, so I bet you will be fine.

Looking great Don. I wish I had your motivation.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts