My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I thought I had this one figured out. But now I am stumped again. I just got done arearating my yard again. I was pulling about 90-100 lbs of on it. What causes a grinding/chattering noise while I am in 2nd gear. I have no problem in first gear, I've found out. Is it just too much for 2nd gear? I thought it was the spline on the hub/axle housing, but replaced it and its doing it again.

Also how much work is the 212 capable of doing? Since this is my second garden tractor I figured, I use this one as my workhorse around the house and let the Craftsman doing the mowing. Thanks in advance for all the valuable information so far.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I just got my 212 and found out I need to put the right front drive belt on it. I tryed mine in second and didn't get any chatter , after you posted. I'll check again tommarrow and see if I find anything to help out.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I tryed mine today and all I get is the sound of gears , I may have to check the fluid level on the gear case , I'm not sure how or where to check it. any Ideas.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The plug hole is on the front (Deck side) side of the transmission.

I could see it in third gear with that weight, but not second gear. I know that there is nut that can adjust the tension of the spring. But I dont know if that actually is part of the equation or not. I would think it would be able to pull that weight easily. Something in the equation is missing.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I put the plow on today and nothing unusal , just the belt squeeking (being the wrong belt) did you chek the ideler tention sheve to see if the bearings are failing mine is kinda noisey. I still have some things to go over but will keep you posted.

This tractor is new to me so I have a learning curve and no manuals yet. I just found out about the gear speeds, The cover is gone off the shifter.

The mower deck is shot , a 2 lb sledge wouldn't move the blades if you call whats left of them.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea, this one is new to me too. I just bought mine in April(ish). I will have to investigate more later.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
See I learn something new every day :) On a new post about belts today a lady was asking about the PTO belt and some nice person posted a diagram. Now I see how the deck belt is routed !

On ine the front variator belt off the engine say's dayco 41400. I know this is the wrong type belt but do you know if the size is right 41 inches. The industrial belt that is rated in horse power is a 5VX type belt , not like automotive belts. I looked at the rear JD belt and saw it was a 5VX type , with JD name on it. I understand that NAPA has green belts made of kevlar that are horse power rated. what I have looked for in ware on the belts in the past in industrial equpiment is the side wall ware. the JD belt is 3 years old and shows a good amount of this type ware. A good industrial belt will have a woven side wall as well as inter bidirectional fabric layers.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
was working on mine tonite. checking the belt pully that goes on the tranny. I notice there was a little slop in the bearing. this week end I plan on takeing the deck off and blocking up the rear end and do some more looking around. Not sure what the tranny takes in oil but I do have some tonna 220 we use in the machines at work. the stuffs like STP , liquid ball bearing. I'll be looking at an exploded view of the tranny tommarrow and will look to see if 2nd gear has a spindle gear attached.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts