My Tractor Forum banner
  • We have a new contest celebrating your backyard. Sponsored by Walmart, its your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i need a good propane grill for under $300, one that will last more than 3 years, all i see in grill reviews is it rusts out blah blah blah, they all seem to be JUNK according to online reviews, my grill will be covered on a covered patio, weber seems to be the only good one but they are $$$$$$

i would like a dual burner (no need for side stove burner but if it has it o well), with GOOD grates and prefer lava rocks, a "swinging" rack on the lid to keep stuff warm would be nice also

i got a broilmaster that is 23+ years old, no rust anywhere, all cast iron, just needs a new burner and regulator (aprox $130), but its only a single burner, but it uses lava rocks and not that stupid steel tent thingy, thats another plus

here is some pics of the ole broilmaster

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i dont think i will find one that will hold up for under $300, i just rather have a bigger grill ....... i should prob just fix this one

·
Retired MTF Founder & Administrator
15,755 Posts
i dont think i will find one that will hold up for under $300, i just rather have a bigger grill ....... i should prob just fix this one
i agree fix the old one. For 130$ you cant get much - or at least not much that would last 20 years.

Ive had 2 charbroils, they are good grills, i upgraded to a Weber about 4 years ago. It was pricey, i think around 500$, but man, its a great grill, my charbroil would never go low enough to slowcook. but the Weber does a great job.

for the money, 130$ is a steal if you get another 20+ years out of it.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Unless you want to more than double your budget, you'll likely not be happy with the results of a $300 grill. I'd spend the $130 and fix what you have and are comfortable cooking on and then take the balance and pick up a Weber charcoal grill for a little variety!

Here's a link to a parts supplier if you want to compare prices. http://www.bbqsource-store.com/oscommerce/index.php?manufacturers_id=6&sort=3a&page=1

Here's a nice Weber Kettle http://www.lowes.com/pd_27071-505-7...al Grills Brands Weber-_-weber charcoal grill

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yea they dont build em like my old one anymore, i think its prob worth just fixin and dealing with the single burner and smaller cooking area, heck you see how good it looks for as old as it is

any other ideas are welcome

·
Jersey Mechanic
1,015 Posts
Check estate sales in your area, I see you may be a little more rural but there are constantly like NEW weber grills here at reasonable prices. I bought a Vermont Castings, 3 burners, but what I like is they are HEAVY. My GF won't use it because she has a hard time opening the lid it is so heavy, but they are built well and cook well. I paid $100 for the vermont castings and it was 6 months old and looked new.

Dan

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have same grill got it new in 1982 gone through 3 cast iron burners one set of porcelain grates. It won't quit. Think i paid around 500.00 back then. Make sure replacement burner is cast iron they do make a knockoff turd.

My new one is a Weber Genesis. :trink39:

Wilber

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
i was going to refurb an old grill master, i think, i'll put a piece of sheet metal in the bottom&just burn wood in it

·
the "AWOL member"
4,954 Posts
I think I would give it a good rebuild then keep my eyes open for a good used grille.:fing32:

·
My Orange Jane Deere
3,358 Posts
Now this is the Grill you need. You can have everybody over and you have room for everything. That's the way we do it in the south. Man you should see the Beer cooler. :thThumbsU

Attachments

·
Registered
118 Posts
I would stick with fixing your old Broilmaster, anything you get in the $300 range new is going to be made in China and will probably last 5 years if your lucky. They just don't make them like they used to.

I bit the bullet and invested in a Weber Gensis earlier this year. Love it and hope to get 15-20 years of service from it.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well i fixed ole broilmaster, new cast iron burner, regulator, new tank, wheels, and foot pads ..... all said and done with new tank filled $150 ..... also re painted it with grill paint i had, finished it after dark but here is the flame under the ceramic briquettes ..... hopefully get another 25 + years out iof it :thThumbsU

·
Retired Super Moderator - Deceased September 2015
26,679 Posts
Good job J! Which I had kept my old one, my Charbroil I bought a couple years ago is not a good grill!:crybaby:

·
Super Moderator
32,209 Posts
Nice work!!! Ya... I realy think the idea of a lifetime grill is pretty much done and over. I have a charbroiler, and wile I do like it...its on year 6 now and has already been rebuilt once. parts are getting harder and harder to find, and when you do, you need to modafy them to fit. Now I need new grates.... I dont know if Im going to bother... Might just scrap it.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
yea im going to sand and refinish the wood treys on it when i get back from my trip

1 - 19 of 19 Posts