My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
work on something
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased this Harbor Freight Greyhound 6.5 Horizontal shaft for $78.00 to put on my tiller.I hope it holds up?

my question is " where can I purchase a drive pulley for the shaft" the dimensions are Shaft size: 3/4" / 19.1 mm diameter x 2.43" / 61.7 mm L, end tapped 5/16-24 with 3/16" / 4.76 mm keyway

the drive belt for my tiller is a v-belt so the pulley will have to accept a v-belt

darn near broke my gear puller trying to get the 30yr old pulley off the old 5hp briggs and the pulley broke!

is this a common size?

thanks for any help

·
Certified Technician
8,420 Posts
I have a "motion industries" store locally that has that stuff, but most mower shops will have what you need.

3/4" crank with 3/16 key is common....could probably even use a Max Torque centrifugal belt clutch if you wanted to have a physical clutch..

·
Registered
349 Posts
Tractor supply if you have a local one and mfgsupply.com.

Hope there is enough of the old pulley left to measure the outside diameter.

Also see lots of them on ebay.

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
If you want to go to a store (as opposed to ordering online - Northern) Tractor Supply usually carries a good stock of pulleys

·
work on something
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thank you all, for your reply's

I will go to harbor Freight today on my lunch break to ask about a pulley,I'll update this thread when I find something

·
Certified Technician
8,420 Posts
HF is not likely to have a pulley, Tractor Supply, or northern tool would be more apt.

·
Retired Super Moderator - Deceased September 2015
26,679 Posts
Also a Bearing Store, like IBT or Bearing Headquarters should have them also. Cheaper at TSC I would think. :fing32:

·
Deceased October 2017
21,767 Posts
IF you can't find something locally, I'm sure they would have what you need here. http://www.mcmaster.com/

They've NEVER let me down, super quick shipping, and good quality stuff.

Check the power transmission section. :fing32:

·
Registered
870 Posts
I had the VERY same problem when I "re engined" my Sears 3pt tiller with a harbor freight Predator 6.5hp.

I tried to remove the original pulley from the Tecumseh shaft with a puller and a "bearing splitter", and the puller removed it, BUT it also smushed the sides of the pulley together (no more groove for the v-belt).

I bought a replacement at my local tractor supply. For less than $15

http://www.tractorsupply.com/home-improvement/electrical-equipment-supplies/electric-motors-pulleys/electric-motor-pulleys/phoenix-standard-a-b-type-3-4-steel-drive-pulley-3-1-2-in-od-1185099

It was a perfect fit!

I hope it helps.

·
work on something
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
fantastic folks on here!!!
your right,I didn't find any small engine pulleys at Harbor Freight, so now I'm going to Tractor Supply which is just a few miles away

I'll update once I find what I'm looking for

·
Registered
247 Posts
snap just want to chime in here, those HF motors are good and will last just make sure you flush the crankcase good before adding good oil and starting ED

·
work on something
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks for the info!
I got the pulley @ Tractor Supply today :) now I'm good to go till this weekend!

thanks to all who commented on this thread :)

·
work on something
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
snap just want to chime in here, those HF motors are good and will last just make sure you flush the crankcase good before adding good oil and starting ED
I will do that ED.. thanks for the input :)

·
kccraftswoman
680 Posts
Hello, I have a greyhound 6.5hp horrizontal and i love it .just remember to flush out the motor AFTER 25-30 minutes of running to flush out the metal chips and flakes.Then refill with good oil. and happy motoring. metal chips from the factory kill these motors.:050::050::bellyemot:bellyemot:050::050::bellyemot:bellyemot

·
work on something
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hello, I have a greyhound 6.5hp horrizontal and i love it .just remember to flush out the motor AFTER 25-30 minutes of running to flush out the metal chips and flakes.Then refill with good oil. and happy motoring. metal chips from the factory kill these motors.:050::050::bellyemot:bellyemot:050::050::bellyemot:bellyemot
thanks for the info :)
I will remember that advice , and will change that oil this weekend.

I will drain the clean,slightly used oil in a pan,then take a strong magnet that I have and put it in the bottom of the oil drain pan,and let it set for a few days,which I do on a regular basis.The magnet will pick up any metal shavings along with and debris left in the case from the factory.This procedure will allow me to know what type of metals are wearing on start up.

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
I don't know how to tell you this but a magnet is not going to pick up aluminum shavings and that is the most used material in these engines. Roger

·
work on something
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't know how to tell you this but a magnet is not going to pick up aluminum shavings and that is the most used material in these engines. Roger
hey! Roger

thanks for the heads up:)
I would be wondering why that darn magnet wouldn't pick up any of those shavings:)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts