My Tractor Forum banner

121 - 140 of 147 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
9 total hours so far...

Ran the splitter for two more hours today. Started second pull, and second pull on most of the restarts (had to pull three times once or twice).

Still has plenty of power. I had to split some very heavy and wet maple, with quite a few knots. The pump slowed down a few times, but the engine sounded great throughout.

Mike

·
Registered
94 Posts
Really enjoyed reading this thread - the overanalyzing , detail by detail posts, and finally a simple 1 min cut job for success... sounds like me haha. Glad it all worked out.

·
Premium Member
8,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
Thanks, I tend to overanalyze things when I'm nervous about it. The idea of cutting the shaft on a brand new engine was daunting enough, having to ultimately do it crudely with a grinder wheel was what really sent me over the edge!

Haven't run the engine since June, had been too hot for firewood duty, and now I have to wait for mosquito season to end. We're in a critical EEE zone, and new cases are still popping up (and the human death toll is still rising). My backyard is pretty wooded, and behind that is all woods.

Mike

·
Premium Member
8,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
9.5 hours on the clock now.

Went out and bucked a few pieces of maple, then split them. About half of a 10 cuft cart worth, most pieces less than 10 inches in diameter.

Predator on the splitter started on second pull, and is still purring like a kitten.

I have a separate thread somewhere on the Husqy saw, that also performed very well.

Mike

·
Registered
4,790 Posts
Just re-read all the posts.... and wonder. Which HF did you end up with? The 212cc that goes on sale for about $100 regularly or the larger 8-ish hp model? I'm sure it was noted, but somehow it escaped my brain.
An aside. I really don't like this 'new and improved' web site software. Somehow reading 7 pages of stuff took about twice as long as it would have.
I have not been back for about a week, and it has not improved as far as I am concerned. I used to poke around daily, but this is difficult to use and I only have so many hours.
tom

·
Hoosier Daddy
842 Posts
Just re-read all the posts.... and wonder. Which HF did you end up with? The 212cc that goes on sale for about $100 regularly or the larger 8-ish hp model? I'm sure it was noted, but somehow it escaped my brain.
An aside. I really don't like this 'new and improved' web site software. Somehow reading 7 pages of stuff took about twice as long as it would have.
I have not been back for about a week, and it has not improved as far as I am concerned. I used to poke around daily, but this is difficult to use and I only have so many hours.
tom
He used the 8hp 301cc that goes for a bit over twice that.

·
Premium Member
8,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
Correct, but it cost me around $300 including a 1-year extended warranty. I don't believe it was on sale when I bought it.

The old Briggs was 8 HP, and the shaft was 1 inch (the Predator 212 has a 3/4 inch shaft).

Mike

·
Premium Member
8,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #128
9.5 hours on the clock now.

Went out and bucked a few pieces of maple, then split them. About half of a 10 cuft cart worth, most pieces less than 10 inches in diameter.

Predator on the splitter started on second pull, and is still purring like a kitten.

I have a separate thread somewhere on the Husqy saw, that also performed very well.

Mike
This, all over again today, another half cart split.

10 hours now on the new engine. Started second pull, ran perfectly.

Mike

·
Premium Member
8,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
Another hour splitting today, 11 total now on the Predator.

Same two-pull start. Temps were in the 60s today.

Mike

·
Premium Member
8,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #130
Another hour splitting today, 12 total now on the Predator.

The temp was 22 F when we started today. The Predator really didn't like that, took 5 pulls to start. I rushed opening the choke, and it stalled, took a few more pulls to restart. After warming up, it ran flawlessly.

This is the only pic that I got today with the splitter in action. Can't see the engine, unfortunately.

Mike
20200118_161231.jpg

·
15,000 +posts!
19,776 Posts
The trusty old smokey Briggs on my SS-12 didn't run so great the other day,when I used it to push snow and drag some trees the power company left in my yard near the street last week when they trimmed potential "problem trees" to avoid power failures..why they cut a perfectly healthy straight tree that was no threat I don't know,but they did cut a few dead ones down I would not have been brave enough to cut myself due to being too close to the street..

I had treated it to a new spark plug,as the old one had been in it some time and it had some thick tan deposits on it,from the oil the engine uses--it doesn't smoke hardly at all once it warms up,but cold it'll smoke you out of the garage after a cold start..I had noticed it wasn't running as well as it usually does,so I figured a new plug wouldn't hurt..

The engine ran fine for about 5 minutes after it warmed up--then kept wanting to stall at idle,and was "blubbering" at open throttle,like it was too rich--so I closed the main jet needle about 1/2 a turn,and it smoothed out--but still tended to load up and die at idle,so I had to adjust the idle mixture screw,which seemed to cure that issue--but then as I started using the tractor,it started bogging out when I opened the throttle,like it was now starving for fuel..

I added some fuel system cleaner to the gas,and filled the tank up with more gas till it was full..it ran very ragged afterwards,no matter where I set the carb adjustments,it would run great at first,then act like it ran out of gas..the fuel filter looks fine,but it might be water in the fuel,though I do not see any--I've had the gas in a plastic gas can for 3 months or so in my garage,I'm thinking it may have condensation in it.

I shut off the fuel and let the engine run out of gas twice,then opened it back up and re-started it,and it seemed OK again--but I'm betting the next time I go to use it,it'll be a pain in my backside again..
I need to find an ethanol free gas source,but don't want to pay $7 a quart for "Tru-Fuel"..
This engine has the infamous "Flo-Jet" updraft carb,which has worked flawlessly for years,one of few that ever has--so I would rather not take it apart --I don't think its the float because it doesn't flood..
It's always "something"..

·
Registered
4,790 Posts
Mr Holic, why not get some 'Heet'? Pour that into the tank, let it absorb any pearls of water at the bottom of the tank before they can escape to the float bowl. Our 'betters'(bettors?) have decreed alcohol will be in our fuel tanks. I see that as a given today, so we have to deal with it. More alcohol might be the solution(solution - get it, chemistry?), as the current embedded alcohol will absorb humidity from the air if the tank/container is not tightly capped or sealed.
Along those line, the air vent in gas caps is not our friend when fuel is stored in the tank. Adding a plastic baggy under the cap before installation should slow down the water infiltration. Remove before use, of course.
I am not sure, but think that the rubbing alcohol you can buy in WallyWorld, etc, will absorb H2O. It is less expensive than Heet, and would do the job I think.
Might want to run a test... cuppa gas, add a tablespoon of tap water... pour in some rubbing alcohol, observe.
Reminds me to put a baggy over the gas cap on the mower in the garage...
tom

·
15,000 +posts!
19,776 Posts
Rubbing alcohol is 30% water in most cases ,unless you buy medical grade or denatured alcohol--"Dry-Gas" is cheaper !...
I normally have a bottle of that hanging around,but my last trip to the dollar store ,they only had carb or fuel injector cleaner (pretty much the same thing,it has a lot of methanol )---I guess what gas I have left in my can will best be used to start my brush piles on fire after I get a burning permit instead of used in my engines..I plan to replace the fuel filter also..just hoping I wont have to dig into the carb itself..

·
Premium Member
8,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
I've used a lot of old gas to start fires. I tend to lean on the side of caution with old gas, especially premix, which I use a lot less often. I try to run tanks dry on 2-strokes, but if I forget, I dump the gas if it's been sitting more than a few months.

Mike

·
Registered
4,790 Posts
I have told my sister to pour her old 'mower gas' into her car tank, and get fresh fuel if it has been around for a while. Nothing makes these critters harder to start than stale fuel(well, as a contributing factor, maybe), so fresh fuel on a one-lunger is almost mandatory(unless you are a Paul Bunyan and don't have a problem).
She sometimes listens. Mostly not until she has tried all her versions and opinions and finally comes around to checking out what I told her...
tom

·
Premium Member
8,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #136 (Edited)
Two more hours on the Predator today, 14 total. Started on third pull, temp in the low 40s.

Split four more 10 cuft cart-fulls. My oldest son helped with most of it, took a 30 minute break to grab a snack and do some homework.

We got through the end of the cord I'd had delivered. That stuff is unbelievably wet throughout. No idea how wood could be so wet inside.

I'm down to the stuff you see off to the right in these pics. A 10 cuft cart ready to be split, and a small pile of stuff waiting to be bucked and split.

Mike

20200202_133940.jpg
20200202_141606.jpg
20200202_144528.jpg
20200202_153845.jpg

·
3,435 Posts
Hey Robert
The trusty old smokey Briggs on my SS-12 didn't run so great the other day,when I used it to push snow and drag some trees the power company left in my yard near the street last week when they trimmed potential "problem trees" to avoid power failures..why they cut a perfectly healthy straight tree that was no threat I don't know,but they did cut a few dead ones down I would not have been brave enough to cut myself due to being too close to the street..

I had treated it to a new spark plug,as the old one had been in it some time and it had some thick tan deposits on it,from the oil the engine uses--it doesn't smoke hardly at all once it warms up,but cold it'll smoke you out of the garage after a cold start..I had noticed it wasn't running as well as it usually does,so I figured a new plug wouldn't hurt..

The engine ran fine for about 5 minutes after it warmed up--then kept wanting to stall at idle,and was "blubbering" at open throttle,like it was too rich--so I closed the main jet needle about 1/2 a turn,and it smoothed out--but still tended to load up and die at idle,so I had to adjust the idle mixture screw,which seemed to cure that issue--but then as I started using the tractor,it started bogging out when I opened the throttle,like it was now starving for fuel..

I added some fuel system cleaner to the gas,and filled the tank up with more gas till it was full..it ran very ragged afterwards,no matter where I set the carb adjustments,it would run great at first,then act like it ran out of gas..the fuel filter looks fine,but it might be water in the fuel,though I do not see any--I've had the gas in a plastic gas can for 3 months or so in my garage,I'm thinking it may have condensation in it.

I shut off the fuel and let the engine run out of gas twice,then opened it back up and re-started it,and it seemed OK again--but I'm betting the next time I go to use it,it'll be a pain in my backside again..
I need to find an ethanol free gas source,but don't want to pay $7 a quart for "Tru-Fuel"..
This engine has the infamous "Flo-Jet" updraft carb,which has worked flawlessly for years,one of few that ever has--so I would rather not take it apart --I don't think its the float because it doesn't flood..
It's always "something"..
...didn't that SS have a Tecumseh in it?....did you repower?

·
Minding my P's & Q's
1,976 Posts
Hey Mike,

This has been an interesting thread. Learned few things from it.
Reread through it today.
In the beginning you talked about getting it ready to go back to MIL.
Did not see any comments later about that.
How did that aspect work out? Is it now going to stay on the homestead?

·
15,000 +posts!
19,776 Posts
Hey Robert

...didn't that SS have a Tecumseh in it?....did you repower?

I got the tractor as a rolling chassis,and only put the old Briggs model 14 I had lying around in it to make it operational ,but soon I was using it for a yard mule/plow tractor,the engine was rated about 6 HP,but its tired now and puts out 4HP if its lucky--still,it has low enough gearing and torque to do pretty much everything I ask of it (except plow in 2nd or 3rd hi range)...

Originally it would have had a HH120 Tecumseh 12 HP engine--I have since bought one,but haven't gotten around to fixing what it needs,I discovered it has a throttle plate screw mashed into the cylinder head,that must have got sucked in--I have another cylinder head,the cylinder bore is perfect,surprisingly,piston has some pock marks,but it'll live..

I need to find a carb for it and some other pieces,but I'm in no hurry to swap it into the tractor..I'll need another starter/generator,and battery,wire it all back up (wiring harness was not included when I got the tractor)--I kind of like having a recoil start,I can start the Briggs easily sitting in the seat..
I also have two more identical model 14 Briggs I could plop on it if this one grenades,I might do just that if it did,and save the HH120 for a spare for my other two Suburban 12's..

·
Premium Member
8,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #140
Hey Mike,

This has been an interesting thread. Learned few things from it.
Reread through it today.
In the beginning you talked about getting it ready to go back to MIL.
Did not see any comments later about that.
How did that aspect work out? Is it now going to stay on the homestead?

All the way back in Post #22 (last January):

Picked up a Predator 301cc (8 HP) engine on Thursday night. Still hopeful that it'll just bolt right up.

My MIL was at our house tonight, and I felt that it was the right thing to discuss it with her before installing the engine. She wasn't happy about the engine breaking down, but wasn't surprised (she and my BIL both remember how it liked to leak oil). She did remember all the problems that my FIL had with the Briggs.

I told her that I bought an engine and would fix it, then asked her what she ultimately wanted to do with it. She said that we should just keep it. I asked if she wanted any money for it, and she said no.

So, I feel like I did the right thing, and now I'm officially the proud owner of this soon-to-be repowered American CLS splitter!

Mike

For better or worse, it's mine. The Predator has been great. Some of the splitter's hydraulic hoses are starting to crack. It's horizontal only, and has no lift. But, it was free (except for the repower) and works well, so I'm in no rush to replace it.

Mike

121 - 140 of 147 Posts