My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy All,

I have been a lurker here for a few years but I don't believe I've posted anything.

A contraptioneer at heart, I have recently acquired some lawn tractors for the purpose of projects.

I've got a Honda HT3813, a Husqvarna YTH2242A, and most recently a basket case Husqvarna Rider 1200.

My father had one of the Honda tractors years ago, and at some point the deck wore out (common issue with sandy soil like ours) and I asked him to keep it so I could use the motor for a project some day. Well, he needed a new tractor and I believe traded it to someone who did some engine work on his Ford F350 diesel.

Mine needs some body work, but the engine seems to run good. I don't plan to mow with it, not sure what just yet.

The Husqvarna I got without a mower deck, it's got a big kohler twin and guy had been using it to pull a firewood wagon. I'd like to fix it up for my elderly father to use sort of as an ATV to get around our property. Thinking ATV tires to give it some float. It's got hydrostatic drive, which is a little slow maybe when we get there I'll ask him if he'd like it to go a little faster and then a transaxle might make more sense.

The Rider 1200 is really a cool and unique machine. Very well made. It's missing original engine (was an 18 hp vanguard, now has a 17.5 hp intek single) and the engine cowling and mower deck cowling are both missing. I don't mind it's in rough shape because I want to customize it. I got the 54" mower deck which is built very well and a snowplow. Considering possibly adding 4wd to it - not impossible since there are other husky models with AWD - and because it's articulating it would not require alterations to the axle for steering. Just a thought at this point, I don't even have it running yet - just bought this weekend. Info on these units seems to be scarce.

Anyway, here to learn.

CM

·
Super Moderator
33,717 Posts
Welcome to MTF CM! Since you've been lurking you already know about all the info and great members here, glad you joined the forum! Here is some site navigation assistance in case you need it:

·
Super Moderator
8,066 Posts
Hi Colonel Monk and
...hope we are able to assist you in your restorations...good luck with them

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
CM, You have a list of machines and plans with fabrication and such. You are in deep my friend, and among many of the same here. Welcome!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I am for sure in deep.

I got the Intek on the Husqvarna to fire last night, and I bought a front hydro drive axle on Ebay for $50. Yeah, I know it doesn't fit my unit - yet. It's from a Husqvarna R322 ta and I'll be on the lookout for a matching rear hydrostatic unit to drive it.

This little unit is built extremely well with pretty thick steel. I will probably be tearing it down to bare bones to paint it so I can remedy any issues it may have, worn bearings and the like. It'll be interesting to see if I can get the AWD front axle mounted with the belt coming thru there.

I could never afford one of these as newer ones as they cost more than my car, but can keep myself out of trouble building one.

On the other husqy, I think getting a tire changer and some larger front wheels will be the place to begin. Mostly it needs to be washed and waxed, that stuff is important to my dad. I may need to paint it before it's over. I have also read that the hydro unit on that can be modified for fluid drain plugs so fluid can be flushed and filled. It's winter, so hard to tell if the whine I hear from it is cold oil or something bad waiting to happen. I will at least follow thru with an attempt at fluid change. As I mentioned, it's use as a buggy to drive around the property it may be better with a regular transaxle, but I may let him try it first and tell me what he wants. I'm hoping the low psi ATV tires will make the ride comfortable enough.

Anyway, back to work.

CM

1 - 6 of 6 Posts