My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, The name comes from working on a Bison Ranch for years before my current job(s) as pretty much "deputy everything" for my rural county government. There weren't many cows but lots of buffalo so I really couldn't call myself a cowboy. Therein comes the play on that. I later discovered to have some less pleasant meanings but I've used it so long now that I'm not changing it on all the other forums I'm on.

I've been lurking here for quite a while picking up information on my ST-16 Sears Lawn Tractor I've had for about 10 years. I decided to join as I have some questions to put to the guys with more experience. The old OHV Tecumseh gave up the ghost earlier this year and considering the joy of finding parts to fix that, I re-engined it to one of those Chinese Honda copy 16hp engines.

·
Administrator
21,250 Posts
Greetings, Buffboy, and welcome to MTF.

You'll have to post the info on the engine swap in either the Sears or Backyard Roundtable. Lots of folks would find that an interesting read.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The engine swap went pretty easily. The bolt holes lined up for the engine in the right place. The biggest headaches were taking a little off the brace that holds the clutch fulcrum for clearance and getting new pulleys. I went up a quarter inch on the mower drive and down a quarter inch on the transmission. I had to use new pulleys because the original was 1 1/8" and the new engine used a 1" output.

So far I haven't made any changes that would preclude putting it back stock. I'm pretty sure a valve seat came out of the Tecumseh head giving me no compression. I may try to round up the parts to rebuild it this winter and put it back stock. It was getting pretty tired and it needs a head, not to mention parts for that engine are scarce. My current problem is the deck is so rusty the right blade tower tore loose but that's a separate post to come.

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,265 Posts
welcome!!!.JPG

Glad to see so many more Sears fans on here! You should fix and restore that beast! Be carefule though, The tractors have tendency to multiply! I started with one, and within a year had five... Now i am working back down to 2 and all the cool attachments i want!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts