My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I am new to home ownership and to lawn mowing. We just bought 2.6 acres of gently sloping lawn and a John Deere LA145 to mow it. I like the machine so far (6 hours of use) but I have some questions:

1) The grass has to be VERY dry or else the bagger unit clogs up. Is this normal? It is a pain having to reach under with a stick to unclog things.

2) What is the best way to mow? Should I go clockwise or counterclockwise? Assuming that I was doing a big rectangle, should I alternate directions on each pass mowing?

Thanks in advance. This looks like a nice place!

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
:MTF_wel:

At this time and the conditions we have at the moment I won't even consider putting my non power flow bagger on, its just to much to keep unplugging it for me. Enjoy the site!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Welcome to the forum!
I've never used a bagger, but yea, if the grass is wet, it WILL stick & clogg things up. I always mow throwing the cut grass in where I'll run over it again, that mulches it up enough for us.

·
9K+ Poster
12,160 Posts
Welcome to the forum! :Welcome1: Bagging looks great, but is a lot of work. You might like the mulch kit better. :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the welcome and the tips!

So, what exactly is entailed with mulching? My wife really wants the clippings for composting. But this mulching sounds good to me. I've read about a "mulch plug" and special blades. What is the deal with that?

Also, is it ok to ride over the piles of clippings thrown out the side? Or does that cause any problems?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:MTF_wel:

At this time and the conditions we have at the moment I won't even consider putting my non power flow bagger on, its just to much to keep unplugging it for me. Enjoy the site!
It HAS been very wet. Under what circumstances WILL you use the bagger? Like, how many days without rain?

·
Retired and Busy!
10,175 Posts
Eichaan

Be sure and check out our Lawn and Garden Tractors By Brand/John Deere Forum here:
http://www.mytractorforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12
:MTF_wel2: We are glad to have you. There are many friendly and knowledgeable folks here at MTF, so enjoy all the different forums. Click on ”Active Topics” near the top left of the page for all the latest activity. You can also register with other members from your state by clicking here:

·
Retired Aug.31 2007
7,473 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Glad to have you with us.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
I usually dont use the bagger till late summer at best and thats if I feel like messin with it, when things are dryer than dry and honestly it is mostly used to collect fall leaves. Without a powered blower its real hard to keep moving when there is a vapor trail coming out the deck.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Same problem with my L120 and non powered bagger. So I usually just side discharge. If I let the grass get too long and the clippings are too thick to leave on the lawn I'll go back the next day with the bagger and pick them up. Just allowing 1 day to dry does wonders for the clogging problem.

The mulching plug is just a rubber stopper that straps over your side discharge chute allowing the clippings to get chopped up more. Mine came with the tractor. If the grass is thick and damp you'll still leave clumps of clippings on the lawn. Most members seem to like the Gator blades by Oregon for mulching.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Same problem with my L120 and non powered bagger. So I usually just side discharge. If I let the grass get too long and the clippings are too thick to leave on the lawn I'll go back the next day with the bagger and pick them up. Just allowing 1 day to dry does wonders for the clogging problem.

The mulching plug is just a rubber stopper that straps over your side discharge chute allowing the clippings to get chopped up more. Mine came with the tractor. If the grass is thick and damp you'll still leave clumps of clippings on the lawn. Most members seem to like the Gator blades by Oregon for mulching.
Thanks for the tip. So, you are saying that I could drive over the mowed clippings the next day, and that the mower will suck the clippings into the hopper? That could work. What height do you put the mower on to make that happen?

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
:Welcome1:

I've never used a bagging system on my mower so I can't really help you there.

I hope that you enjoy the forums though.

Great to have you here.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks for the tip. So, you are saying that I could drive over the mowed clippings the next day, and that the mower will suck the clippings into the hopper? That could work. What height do you put the mower on to make that happen?
Just leave your cut height the same or 1 notch higher, hook up your bagger and suck up the clippings from the day before. I just do the areas that need it instead of the whole lawn. If there is a deep accumulation I'll take a swipe half the deck width and go slower. Works for me.

·
Registered
535 Posts
:Welcome1: Glad to have you.

1. I never use a bagger, cant help you there.

2. Mow in different directions everytime. example: first cut mow in a rectangle counter or clockwise. Next time take that rectangle and cut it in ahlf and make two triangles. Next time mow side to side and the next time mow up and down. Clear as mud? Keeps you from making tire ruts in your lawn and from being board going round and round.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts