My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had t 10x12 HF this greenhouse three years now, and use it mostly to overwinter tender plants, taking cuttings and raising seeds late winter.

For heating I have a potbelly woodstove that sits in the middle and can't have anything growing near it. For real cold nights a diesel blower on thermostat makes another corner of the greenhouse useless for growing...and a heated bench with a plastic tent over it provides extra protection for the tender stuff.

Now after years of calling me crazy for going to all this trouble to save maybe a *grand* on summer color and veggie plants, she decided it would be nice to have tomatoes growing in winter....

With the woodstove throwing out the direct heat that it does, that won't be practical. Need to isolate/insulate it somehow. With some time to go before winter, I wouldn't be averse even to relocating it to some construction outside the greenhouse, but no good design ideas come to mind. Anyone?

·
Registered
818 Posts
10 X 12 sure is not a lot of room. Mine is about the same size but I only heat in the spring after I have moved plants started in the basement. Bring them out about the first of April and really only need heat at night and do that with an electric heater. A Pot belly sure takes up alot more room and in that small of a deal I'd be backing my back side into it.:Stop:
A guy could go outside with a wood heater. Either forced air or Hot water. I'm sure if you did some research you could come up with something and gain a lot of room in the GH
Couple pictures of my GH

·
Registered
818 Posts
Rocket Stoves? Your talking a lot of "Chips" too heat a 8X12 foot room. I was thinging more on the order of making something

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
I've had fresh toms at Christmas time, sitting in the front room, with south facing windows. One bush was big enough to take the place of the Christmas tree. It even came with its own decorations.
Got some fresh carrots in January, too.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Hey Murphy,
The "Chips" I'm talking about you carry in your back pocket. You know " The long green with the short future" (M O N E Y)
Gary

1 - 7 of 7 Posts