My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Old Iron......Forever
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was finishing the last minute details for the the soon to be picked up and tested Green Machine.......I noticed when I tested it that the far left spindle was awfully noisy, so I decided to remove the spindle and replace the bearings.

I got that done and since adding the Slime in the tires, I decided to fire it up and head down the street to give the tires a good coating inside. BUT .....
now mind you, this engine has been running flawlessly since I installed it a couple of weeks ago.

This time, the choke cable started hanging up as if it had been rusty and needed lubed, which I did do, then when that was working properly, again.....it wouldn't hit a lick unless I dribbled gas in the carb. So my initial guess was the fuel pump stopped working. When I took off the side access nut at the carb, no gas came out. I blew it out with compressor air, but no result. Which is why I think fuel pump quit. I drove it in to the shop from when I took pictures of it Sat, ran fine. Now this. Uhhh :banghead3, the guy is coming to get it Wed or Thurs.

If I didn't know better, I'd say Green Machine doesn't want to be sold.:fing20:

·
Premium Member
5,689 Posts
I guess it's better it happened now instead of after the guy got it. It's still lame though. Maybe you are right about her not wanting to be sold...............

·
Old Iron......Forever
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I am going to check the fuel line from tank to the fuel pump. The impulse vacuum line from the block will need to be checked for blockage. Anyway I look at it, hood has to come off to work on it. Might get lucky and be some trash in the fuel line and its not getting enough flow. It has a new fuel filter just outside of the tank, and a new shut off valve just beside the oil dipstick. Somehow I don't think I'll find anything in the line.

·
Old Iron......Forever
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe the Gas TAnk is empty!
I checked that, and it was maybe an inch from the bottom. The tank is in under the steering wheel, I wonder if I filled the tank up if it would get the gas to come up enough for the pump to let it flow. With the gas tank full, and on level the gas is higher than the carb, it might gravity flow enough to confirm the pump is the problem.

·
Old Iron......Forever
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Under high sweaty conditions, with humidity being close to 90 percent, and temps at 93 degrees, I worked on the Green Machine, when I got home from work. The idea I had about checking the fuel line was in itself unnecessary, but the problem I saw made me shake my head. It was right there, and I didn't see it because of the hood being in the way and the air filter frame being in the way. The fuel hose was leaking air at the connector preventing the fuel pump to pick up any gas, sucking air as it were. The other idea I had about filling the gas tank to full was the other piece of the total puzzle. It put pressure on the leaky hose and began leaking gas from the back pressure from the tank. I don't think if I had not filled up the tank, that I would have discovered the problem so quickly. Go figure that it would be so simple. But surprising even myself at how fast I found the problem. Just lucky this time. That could have become very frustrating, and I would have wasted my time on the rebuild of the fuel pump diaphragm, and I would have re-tightened the fuel line clamp not realizing that it was the problem...

Oh just to be certain the fuel pump was in fact, working properly, I drained the gas back to the low 1" from the bottom of the tank when the problem developed

Engine is running FLAWLESSLY again :thThumbsU

·
Banned
2 Posts
Under high sweaty conditions, with humidity being close to 90 percent, and temps at 93 degrees, I worked on the Green Machine, when I got home from work. The idea I had about checking the fuel line was in itself unnecessary, but the problem I saw made me shake my head. It was right there, and I didn't see it because of the hood being in the way and the air filter frame being in the way. The fuel hose was leaking air at the connector preventing the fuel pump to pick up any gas, sucking air as it were. The other idea I had about filling the gas tank to full was the other piece of the total puzzle. It put pressure on the leaky hose and began leaking gas from the back pressure from the tank. I don't think if I had not filled up the tank, that I would have discovered the problem so quickly. Go figure that it would be so simple. But surprising even myself at how fast I found the problem. Just lucky this time. That could have become very frustrating, and I would have wasted my time on the rebuild of the fuel pump diaphragm, and I would have re-tightened the fuel line clamp not realizing that it was the problem...

Engine is running FLAWLESSLY again :thThumbsU

Glad it was a simple fix ..Glad shes back up and running

·
Premium Member
5,689 Posts
Good deal.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts