My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For easy start and balance when carrying aound a few acres just randon trimming along fences and flowers beds the best one I have,by far, is the Husqvarna 225L. Quiet and powerfull, only had one tune up in 5 years and 100's of hours use. Very dependable.
DUCK :fing02:

·
Registered
8,508 Posts
I have a Redmax BCZ2400S that I bought last year. I've been real happy with it so far.

·
Registered
8,508 Posts
I don't have my manual handy, Doc, but it is reasonably light and has a lot of power. Red Max is its own brand of trimmers and blowers. You will see them discussed quite a bit on the commercial lawn and garden sites. They have a pretty good reputation from what I've read. I bought mine from my JD dealer.

·
Old Fart
3,225 Posts
I've got a Husqvarna 326Lx String Trimmer. I bought it last summer but it has been a big time-saver, is durable, and starts right up.

I've also got this Yard Machines String Trimmer Mower but along a fence or against rocks, the strings break too easily. It just sits idle most of the time.

I have one section of my yard beyond the fence that is a pretty steep slope and the Husqvarna is much easier to use than the Yard Machines.

ED
:dancingpa

·
Off Hiatus.
1,123 Posts
We've used redmax before with the business, and i thought they sucked...and the stupid husqvarnas seemed off balance (until i realized i could move the handle)...the husqvarnas seemed the best to put the brush blade on for small lot clearings.

I've got to say my personal favorite has got to be the tanaka tbc series...they're great and take a lickin and keep on tickin...trust me...i've thrown that stupid thing so many times. Although i did find a way to keep the other guys at the shop from touching my whacker...I put my favorite pink handkerchief on it. Stopped em dead in their tracks. I hate their sweaty hands all over my apparatus

·
Scags rule
61 Posts
Stihl

I have heard good things about the Red Max from a lot of the commercial guys. Personally I like the Stihl trimmers. I have an FS55 that I have had for a couple of years now. It starts on the first or second pull every time and works really well around my 2 acre property.

·
Registered
8,508 Posts
Yes it is Greg. Seems to be a good motor, but I've only used it for one summer. Starts real easy and has lots of power.

RedMax BCZ2400S

·
Registered
349 Posts
I got the Echo SRM 2601 and SRM 260 split shaft.

The SRM is 4 years old and has a lot of hours on it. Only once has it needed repair and that was when I first got it. And that was because I ran it over in the dark unloading my trailer with one of my mowers. (it had been a 12 hour day) New shaft was $120 on a 2 week old Trimmer that was bought for $315 w/tax. :banghead3 :banghead3 ARGH!!!!!

The SRM 260 split shaft I just got. (it replaced another SRM2601 that was 6 years old) I got a mini power broom attachment for it. Worth every penny of the $250 I spent just on the power broom. Also have an edger attachment which works quite well. I will get another one with my other SRM2601 craps out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I owned a Ryobi for about ten years and every summer I yanked and yanked on the cord to start the stupid thing :banghead3 . Once I got it started it ran OK. Two years ago I got discusted with it and bought a Shindaiwa split shaft with an edger, string cutter and brush cutter. What a difference! It starts the 1st or 2nd pull and it is light, powerful and versatile.

·
Registered
8,508 Posts
:Welcome: to MTF, JWE!

The Shindaiwa's are highly regarded in the commercial lawn care industry.

Nothing better than a 2 stroke power tool that starts on the first or second pull.

·
Registered
155 Posts
About 8 years with an Echo SRM-2100. Man what a great trimmer! Been maintaining two properties the whole time and never a problem. The only parts we have replaced where the plug (last year), and the spool for the line.

Despite Echo's on and off troubles with carbs, this one hasn't been any trouble. It's a strong trimmer.

·
. . . . . . . . . . . .
1,122 Posts
Hey, I have had a echo SRM-2410 for about 4 years, and this is a bad little boy.
It's given me 0 problems ( the handlebars are sweet ). I rarely use the brush blade, but when I do, watch out! Like Howard said though, Shindaiwa is probably the best all-around weed-eater.

My .02 centavos
Bruce

·
I'd rather be threshing!
3,997 Posts
What should I buy?

I have a Ryan (are they even made anymore) that I bought when I bought my house 17 years ago!

I only use it about 6 or 7 times a season. It is a hard starting pig, but when I get it running, it runs fine. I think I usually pull the cord a dozen times or so.

I only paid 70 bucks for it, and until last summer have never had any trouble with it. Now the head quit spinning, so I suspect the drive cable broke.

I will need to replace it this summer. I want a dual line model so there is not so much vibration. I would take any recommendations any of you might have. Keep in mind, I am not in the "business", I just need a homeowners model!

·
Registered
349 Posts
mbkerk
An Echo Srm 210 is a good choice. $199 and you will never wear it out. Its a lite commerial grate.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Ive got an old 80s? Craftsman trimmer that I use, after it warms up it runs good. Had a good carb cleaning party two years ago, lubed the cable, etc. Never have to do anything other that add gas and string.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts