My Tractor Forum banner

Great reciprocating saw HILTI 1250-PE; DIABLO Thick metal blades

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  pink toe beater 
#1 ·
For my business I cut out a lot of old boilers and oil tanks...the other day I came across the thickest oil tank I have ever encountered...just under an inch thick..I was cutting a hole in it to fill it with concrete as it was an underground tank not in use any more......I have the tanks cleaned and rendered "Gas Free"; safe for hot work, but I don't like using torches for a few reasons....so I typically use a 41/2 inch Milwaukee angle grinder to make a hole and then continue using a Milwaukee Sawsall...which has worked fine for almost 40 years for me....this tank was just eating the grinding wheels and the blades.....the Super at the complex did not say anything, but disappeared and returned with his reciprocating saw...a HILTI 1250-PE...and some DIABLO carbide blades labeled specifically for THICK METAL....I am not going to say that it cut like butter, but it worked....where my trusty Milwaukee stuff did not :confused: ..and it did work well...the DIABLO blades really surprised me how well they cut....I typically use Lenox or Morse blades...the HILTI Saw is quite expensive, but it has muscle...and the blades are priced high also....but they get the job done...I think the blades might have too much of a bite to work in the Milwaukee saw...but if you are going to be doing a lot of heavy metal cutting, and cannot use a torch...this works

See less See more
#3 ·
Many run into this same type of problem all the time because trying to find out what's new and better(?) is quite difficult. I subscribe to the newsletter from Toolguyd which sends a weekly email each Monday showcasing new tools and accessories from different manufacturers, they also let one know of specific tool sales at the big box stores.

#5 ·
Hilti makes some solid stuff--priced accordingly. I picked up an electric corded Hilti 3/8" reversible drill in a pawn shop many years ago for $10 and it has been bulletproof. I've always used the Lennox Bimetal blades in shops but never had to cut anything thicker than 1/8" steel or 1/4" aluminum with them.

Anything thick got hit with the Arc-gouge.

#8 · (Edited)
For my business I cut out a lot of old boilers and oil tanks...the other day I came across the thickest oil tank I have ever encountered...just under an inch thick..I was cutting a hole in it to fill it with concrete as it was an underground tank not in use any more......I have the tanks cleaned and rendered "Gas Free"; safe for hot work, but I don't like using torches for a few reasons....so I typically use a 41/2 inch Milwaukee angle grinder to make a hole and then continue using a Milwaukee Sawsall...which has worked fine for almost 40 years for me....this tank was just eating the grinding wheels and the blades.....the Super at the complex did not say anything, but disappeared and returned with his reciprocating saw...a HILTI 1250-PE...and some DIABLO carbide blades labeled specifically for THICK METAL....I am not going to say that it cut like butter, but it worked....where my trusty Milwaukee stuff did not :confused: ..and it did work well...the DIABLO blades really surprised me how well they cut....I typically use Lenox or Morse blades...the HILTI Saw is quite expensive, but it has muscle...and the blades are priced high also....but they get the job done...I think the blades might have too much of a bite to work in the Milwaukee saw...but if you are going to be doing a lot of heavy metal cutting, and cannot use a torch...this works
View attachment 2443971

i have Milwaukees, they are ok, like my Milwaukee heated jacket though.

but ever since i got into Industrial carpentry, i started liking Hilti and buying them. they are friendly to the human body. i have done lots of weep holes, its a over head job, Milwaukee concrete pinners are painful after doing a single floor.

Hilti concrete pinners is where the ticket is, Most major construction company today are on some Hilti power tools, i would recommend Hilti to all professionals.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.