My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure if this is the right place for this.

If not, I apologize.

My dad used a one wheel walk behind cultivator many years ago.
When I moved back to the property a few years ago, it was in the chicken coop and didn't run.

At the time, I needed the chicken coop for chickens so I just put this machine over in the weeds.

Couple days ago, it caught my eye and I started to investigate a little.
Became interested because I will be retiring in a couple months and thought this is something I may want to tinker with to see if I could get it running or whether it would be worth the bother.

I am NOT a very good mechanic.

I found the manufacturer's plate and it was made by the Great Lakes Tractor Co and had "Chief" on the plate.

Couldn't find at a quick look over what engine is on it.

Doesn't seem to be a lot of info on this on Google so I was wondering if anyone here had any info.

I'm guessing this is a late 40s early 50s model

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
120 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Recalling what little I can of my dad using it, it would be better than a roto tiller
Hope I can get it running

Solving the engine may be a real challenge

·
Registered
19 Posts
Great Lakes Tractor Company was in Rock Creek OH in the 50's. They made a line of Chief and Junior Chief lawn tractors and cultivators. The one-wheel units were used for cultivation; the two wheelers were able to handle a snow plow, a sickle-bar mower, discs, tines, and perhaps other drag-along attachments.

My two-wheel Chief is fitted with a factory reverse gear. I have blown up two engines over the years plowing snow, but the tractor itself is in good and serviceable shape. I use it now with engine #3 as a mule to push around a classic car that i am working on.

Look in the two-wheel tractor forum for pix and more info on Great Lakes Tractor Company or Google "Great lakes tractor' to find the articles on my tractor and others.

--Tom

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tom, thanks for the info.
Mine is now in the garage still completely assembled.
For my amusement a couple weeks ago, I sprayed Blaster down the plug hole to see if I could free up the piston.
I expected to have to do this multiple times.
However, I hand turned it and it moved.
I look to start tackling it soon

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi,

I have made alterations to my "Chief" to make it a better mule for moving my project car around.

1. Engine #3, a 1.5 hp Clinton, gave up the ghost. I modified the motor mounting area and installed a used (from a no-longer-used piece of construction equipment) Honda 9 hp engine. Why this engine? It was free, and it starts on the 1st or 2nd pull every time. It's way bigger than necessary.

2. I added an 8" front wheel, actually a swivel caster, to give it a tripod stance.

3. I rigged a lock on the engagement lever to assure a neutral position so the tractor would stand still and put spring washers on the lever pivot to give it resistance against falling downward.

4. I replaced the 60+ year old tires (they split open one day) and tubes. The tires were out of warranty--imagine that! This was my biggest investment in this tractor. I did not fill them with fluid.

With these changes the GLTC Chief is suited perfectly to my needs. It pulls and pushes as needed and is not as stubborn as a live mule!

--Tom

1 - 8 of 8 Posts