My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The book says 8 zerks to grease. I greased the front spindles and wheels (4 zerks). Can't find the one on the steering ??? Where is it ??? I greased the mower deck mandrels (3 zerks). I pumped my full size hand held pistol grip grease gun 50 times and i don't see any grease squeezing out of the mandrel anywhere. One pump is about a 1 inch line of grease. When i grease the front spindle I pump till a little grease squeezes out the top or bottom. How much should I pump into the mandrels ???

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
I only put 5 or 6 pumps a grease in each mandrel at a time. How often depends on how much you mow. I do it about every 10 hours or so. I'm going on my 6th mowing season with no problems.

Grease is not always suppost to squirt on of every thing you grease. Sometimes all that does is make a mess and collect dirt.

·
Registered
129 Posts
tpaul,

I couldn't find the steering zerk, either. I just grease the teeth.

I have a 54 inch deck and I have the same problem--how much grease do you put in? Being and old farm boy I have generally always used the same rule of thumb as you, put in grease until it starts coming out, but I also don't want to blow the bearing seals out.

I had always put in about 5 pumps at each mowing until this year when I took the mandrels apart to take care of corrosion and discovered the size of the cavity. The spindle shaft is about 3/4 of an inch in diameter and the cavity is about 1 and 1/4 inch in diameter and 5 inches tall. That's a lot of space to fill with grease! It may take 1/3 to 1/2 cartridge of grease to fill each one!

The grease hole in the spindle shaft comes out inside about 1/2 inch below the top bearing and grease was spattered inside the housing and stuck to spindle shaft, with little of it getting to the bearings.

The top bearing has double seals so the grease isn't getting to or through that bearing. The bottom bearing is shielded and sealed on the bottom but open on the top to receive the grease.

In all three mandrels I dismantled, the bottom bearing was dry and the grease inside the mandrel wasn't even close to the bottom bearing. After reassembling the mandrels I put 30 pumps in each one, exhausting my grease supply, with no grease coming out. Once I pick up some more grease, I will pump in another 30 or so pumps, then if grease doesn't come out I will keep putting grease in and depressing the ball in the zerk to see if I can get grease to come out.

I would think 50 pumps would fill the cavity, but the only way to make sure is to keep pumping until the grease overflows.

Runningbare

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Runningbare, thats the info i was looking for. Guess i'm off to the hardware store to buy more grease.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Thanks for the info.
I put what I thought was a ton of grease (although about 15 pumps, my tube is really low) into mine before the first use this spring, too I thought the deck seemed more quiet than the "helicopter" remembered last year, but that rememberance is too subjective to be factual..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts