My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the # 2335E42A , & I'm looking for your opinion, suggestions. I could be wrong but i belief my blade spindles bearings are sealed. Wondering if I should even bother greasing them???
Thanks
Gunnnie

·
Registered
'81 Gravely tractor, 50's 60's 70's 80's 90's Gravely tractors Various Honda Power equipment
430 Posts
If they are packed tight with grease, fully loaded, eventually some of the grease works its way past the seals and into the bearing balls when it gets hot and then cools down, but it takes a lot of grease to do that, so just keep filling them every time you do the maintenance work and grease jobs on it.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Gunnie, Yes, bearings ARE sealed, but the grease you're adding is NOT to lubricate the bearings, it's to displace the air inside of the spindle housing to prevent rust on the spindle. Not really important for proper operation, but if spindles become rusted, you may have difficulties when you need to replace spindle bearings. Give each spindle 3-5 pumps at the beginning and end of mowing season. Bob

·
Premium Member
6,091 Posts
The other thing the grease you add does is to act as a heatsink/heat conductor for the bearings to help them run cooler. Also, by them being surrounded by grease they'll gradually absorb it as the bearings heat and cool.

Highly recommended to grease, at least a few times throughout the mowing season.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts