My Tractor Forum banner

Grease zerts on a 54" deck - still not good..read my story please.

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  diesel_nut 
#1 ·
Good evening to all.

I just tried to grease one of my deck spindles and the silly push-in zert popped out. I used a tiny thin smooth wire and carefully cleaned the shaft and nothing felt plugged or otherwise restictive. I tapped the shaft and replaced the silly push-in with a treaded zert but I still had high resistance to pumping grease...
What's up inside that thing? These do have non-sealed bearings don't they? Even if they don't the grease usually finds it's way past the rubber seal and oozes out...

#2 ·
The bearings are sealed.It may be that the ball on the zerk isnt pushing in to allow grease to squeeze through the chamber into the housing.take a pin or screwdriver and make sure that the ball is moving in and out.

#3 ·
Take the treaded zerk fitting out and clamp it in a vise. See if you can get grease to flow through it. If not replace it, if the grease flows reinstall it and try putting some heat on the soindle, then try greasing it again. That's all I can think of. old as my 9n

#4 ·
The spindle on that deck is just a long plain shaft that is drilled through to a hole about mid way down where the grease comes out between the two unsealed bearings. I tapped and installed a threaded grease fitting on the center spindle of my son's 2554.

#7 ·
Read post above. The bearings are not sealed.

#8 ·
10-4...
I didn't think they were even though I know many of the new cheaper brands are. I figure if there is a zert it must need grease even though I've seen cheapo Turf Masters from Meijers that had a zert on the spindle but after tearing it apart both bearings were sealed....I just scrathed my head.

I just can't figure what would be blocking the flow of grease.. I guess I'll have to tear it apart this winter.

Have I told everybody lately just how great this Forum is and the people on it?
Thanks everybody for sharing your knowledge, patience and common interest for these machines.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.