My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to get the old sears "roto-spader" I found abandoned in the garden when I bought this farm ready to once again chew up the garden.

It works (thanks to the new B/S 6.5 hp engine) but the gear box loses it's oil. I don't even want to invest in finding seals and repairing it that extensively, I just wanna till the garden.

Here's my question: Can I fill the gear box (the transaxel looking thingy between the blades) with grease instead of oil?

Has anybody else ever tried it?

Your thought and experiences in the Mad Max repair realm would be appreciated!

Attachments

·
Citizen of Earth
16,842 Posts
What grade of oil is in there now if you know? I'd probably use a 90 weight gear oil and just keep topping the level off. There is a heavier grade (I think a 140 weight) that might leak slower if at all. I'd use these instead of grease to protect the gears as much as possible.

·
Registered
911 Posts
foxtower, it should have 80W90 oil in it, and as bontai Joe said there is 140 weight.
I have put grease in some tillers that no parts are available for, and leak as fast as you put it in... If you got a model number on the tiller, I would look and see if the seals are still available, post it if you got, and I'll look. The seals are not hard to change, as long as the tines come off fairly easy. Tony

·
Collector of many tractors
15,244 Posts
At the textile factory I maintain we had an old machine that had a gearbox that would not hold oil for more than 2 days... It was to old to buy any parts for it... So I mixed 50-50 80wt. Dino oil and Synthetic oil... It made a gel like gloob of goop that kept the gears lubed up real good but it would not leak out of the box... I guess thats why they say not to mix oils...

·
Registered
217 Posts
You may want to try some Lucas Oil or STP oil additive. I have used this in leaking steering boxes on old cars for which the seals were not available and it seems to work pretty well.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Kbeitz said:
At the textile factory I maintain we had an old machine that had a gearbox that would not hold oil for more than 2 days... It was to old to buy any parts for it... So I mixed 50-50 80wt. Dino oil and Synthetic oil... It made a gel like gloob of goop that kept the gears lubed up real good but it would not leak out of the box... I guess thats why they say not to mix oils...
Hmmm... now thats a great Mad Max realm suggestion! Thanks!

So I take it no one has tried just plain grease?

I found a whole case of mpg grease at the dump. It's "food processing" grade - green and gooey....

I'm just not comfortable using it for regular fittings when the tactors have all had regular grease for years.

But if I stuff the roto spader's gearbox full with it what could go wrong?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mowerman said:
foxtower, it should have 80W90 oil in it, and as bontai Joe said there is 140 weight.
I have put grease in some tillers that no parts are available for, and leak as fast as you put it in... If you got a model number on the tiller, I would look and see if the seals are still available, post it if you got, and I'll look. The seals are not hard to change, as long as the tines come off fairly easy. Tony
The chances of the tines coming off after sitting outside for many many years is doubtful. I was surprised it still turned!

Yes, I could regular grease would liquify and leak out... maybe between Kevins globs of goo or heavy heavy oil I'll keep it cool long enough to use it again this year....

Thanks!

·
Old as Sin
2,175 Posts
hello foxtower

are you really wanting to eat what the grease and oil leaks onto ???

silver hair deere

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
silver hair deere said:
hello foxtower

are you really wanting to eat what the grease and oil leaks onto ???

silver hair deere
No, of course not, hence I need a solution. (Though we ALL eat plants grown exposed to fluids leaked from cultivation equipment. Even before "modern" times oxen and horses leaked.(e.coli))

In the Mad Max realm not only is there very little oil available so I don't want to waste it, but also should I find an acceptable "currency" (ie. gold, weapons, tools) there are no handy parts stores.

More importantly, using cultivation will increase productivity and I'll have enough food to get through Winter.

·
Certified Technician
8,606 Posts
I had a front tine Roto Spader that leaked out the front seals, and I put 50% Lucal Oil additive, and 50% "00" Grease that is used in Snapper RER transmissions.

So far, after a few hours of use, being dragged behind a tractor, running with the engine at 4400-4600 rpms, I havent leaked a drip.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I have an old Front Tine Tiller (1978) which was sold by Sears. I had to replace the 5hp Briggs after I left it idling one spring morning to warm up, I did not check the oil and it seized ( lesson learned). The gear box between the tines was leaking gear oil, so I have been filling it with chasse grease.No leaking. I have been running it that way for about 3 years now on a 1/2 acre garden. Works fine. I don't really care if it does go to pieces, I now have a Troy Bilt and Earthquake rear tine tiller. Much easier on the body.

·
Master Dismantler
739 Posts
RED-85-Z51 said:
I had a front tine Roto Spader that leaked out the front seals, and I put 50% Lucal Oil additive, and 50% "00" Grease that is used in Snapper RER transmissions.

So far, after a few hours of use, being dragged behind a tractor, running with the engine at 4400-4600 rpms, I havent leaked a drip.
`
I was thinkin' that 00 would work. A bit pricey, but it shouldn't ooz out unless it's a pretty big hole. That's what my Earthquake calls for in the diff... I put it into my old MTD front tine a couple years ago and haven't had to add any yet.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
rust said:
I have an old Front Tine Tiller (1978) which was sold by Sears. I had to replace the 5hp Briggs after I left it idling one spring morning to warm up, I did not check the oil and it seized ( lesson learned). The gear box between the tines was leaking gear oil, so I have been filling it with chasse grease.No leaking. I have been running it that way for about 3 years now on a 1/2 acre garden. Works fine. I don't really care if it does go to pieces, I now have a Troy Bilt and Earthquake rear tine tiller. Much easier on the body.
Thanks for letting me know at least one person tried the simplest solution and it worked! That's the most likely scenario here, trying grease first and then only if it indeed leaks out (before I've got the job done) I may try a pricier solution like filling the gearbox 00 gunpowder.....

·
Registered
470 Posts
Acrefarm, what model Earthquake do you have? I just purchased mine in October 06, so I have not had a chance to put anytime on it. I did order some "00 Grease" for it, even though they are shipped from the factory with grease in the differential, mine was down a little.
Have you had any problems with your Earthquake? many hours on it?

·
Registered
228 Posts
In our experience with sprayer pumps when the grease gets warmed up and liquifies it's a poor lubricator. The grease that doesn't melt sticks to the sidewalls and does no good. You can use up to 100 percent Lucas with no harm in warm weather (for gear boxes and such but not for engines) and it might even seal the leak.

·
Master Dismantler
739 Posts
rust said:
Acrefarm, what model Earthquake do you have? I just purchased mine in October 06, so I have not had a chance to put anytime on it. I did order some "00 Grease" for it, even though they are shipped from the factory with grease in the differential, mine was down a little.
Have you had any problems with your Earthquake? many hours on it?
I have model 5055CRT with a 5.5hp Tecumseh OHV engine. The machine is 7 years old, and still going strong. As far as hours... I can't tell you a number. My father bought it new, and it was used to till my mother's 1/4 acre garden in the spring and fall for 5 years. They then moved south, and I took the tiller. I've used it for the past 2 years for my wife's small garden and for a couple other jobs... flower beds and such. It's been nothing short of great for us, even with a Tecumseh on it. Every spring, I dump in some gas and a few pulls later we're off and tilling.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.