My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, grease gun failed. need a new one. any suggestions? dewalt 18v one good, (already have impact, drill, all of that stuff, so figured grease gun would be good addition) and what is the best hand pump one? that is probably what I would get…… but, dewalt sounds pretty tempting…..

·
Professional Homeowner
7,202 Posts
For home use, Lincoln Pistol Grip or a Lumax are fine guns.:fing32:
Agreed.
I'd stick with simple hand pump guns rather than an electromechanical one. If you happen to have a dead battery but need grease your machine, guess what isn't going to get done...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So Lincon is good. I want a really good one. I did not even put a whole tube of grease through last one, and it broke. I have to use a hammer to get handle to go out. Maybe industrial grade if that is what is needed to get something that will last. Sick of cheap stuff.

·
Super Moderator
29,527 Posts
you cannot beat a pistol grip Lincoln. plus they are easy to use 1 handed, unlike some of the lever models.

I personally don't see the need for a power or air driven gun unless someone either has a mobility issue or is doing a LOT of greasing! But for the average homeowner they are just a nicety and not a necessity.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
I've used both the cheap Chinese and name brand guns without noticing much of a difference. In the summer I almost solely keep 3 bush hogs greased throughout the season and use a couple dozen tubes of grease. The gun itself doesn't seem to matter much, they all pump grease in a satisfactory manner.

What matters the most in my opinion is the coupler.. The Chinese couplers included on most guns are garbage. I've got a couple older couplers that were made in the USA and work excellently. I've read that John Deere makes a good one, and there's one that clips on available through Amazon.

I always use a lever type gun with a rubber hose. I did use a pistol grip gun for awhile but it really wore my hand out. I hold the grease gun by the lever with my right hand and hold the hose with my left. It's not hard to find something to brace the gun to pump against.

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
I've got Lincoln lever guns on the place that have been in use since I was a little kid and before. I'm 73 now and they are going to outlast me. Greased a lot of farm machinery over the years. Lincoln tips are the best I've ever used.

Just my experience, your mileage may vary.

Mike

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
last Chinese gun was JUNK! only lasted 2 weeks. and, was only used on 10 zerk fittings once (scag mower) So, will probably go lincon. same price as last garbage one. which one should I get? link maybe to amazon or something to buy it would help…..

·
10,401 Posts
For home use, I'll give the nod to a lever action with a flex hose. As mentioned, try to hit CL or a garage sale to find an old Lincoln with the heavier top.

Being a heavy equipment operator, I run through a case of grease a week. Easy decision to go with the DeWalt 18v. :thThumbsU

Attachments

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,668 Posts
I had the pump fail on a mini gun that had lasted about 10 years. I read this thread, and set out to find a Lincoln locally. Well, I couldn't. I need to do some greasing so I picked up a Lucas at HD, took it home loaded it with a cartridge of JD grease, popped it on a handy zerk on my tractor steering control arm (handiest place to test it). Pumped a half-dozen pumps, felt right, but wasn't pushing any out of the spindle. Pulled it off the zerk, looked at it and found a long crack across the cast head. I was greasing my garage floor. I didn't pay much, about $10, but I was pretty mad. Fortunately, HD was very good about taking it back. This is frustrating. How hard is it to make a decent grease gun? I'd pay twice the going rate for a good one.

Vent over. Sorry

·
Registered
1,439 Posts

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
I have found grease guns to be just about all the same.Where it matters is having a good quality coupler on the end and replacing the coupler when it no longer holds the zerk well.Lincoln makes a good coupler.

I have tried a few battery operated guns including Lincoln.There fine for a perfect world where the zerk takes the grease easily.But here on the farm its not a perfect world.I need a manual grip action gun.So I can bare down on it to give it grease when stuborn and feather it when it does not want to take the grease.

Most of the electric battery operated type I have used on stuborn zerks just grunt and stop or make a mess even with a full charge.Besides I operate a gease gun by feel and the electric ones just pulsate there is no feel.

·
Murph
1,915 Posts
I've had this one and used it for my business for at least ten years with zero problems, last spring I had the battery rebuilt by Interstate. I bought it at Farm and Fleet but most stores carry them.

Edit....Interstate told me the grease guns have a more heavy duty battery so I'm not sure if it would interchange with your Dewalt stuff.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_29472_29472?cm_mmc=Google-pla-_-Fuel Transfer + Lubrication-_-Grease Guns + Accessories-_-40389&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=40389&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=40389&gclid=CITxjq3PicMCFaY-MgodcCMAmg

·
not quins. but sextuplets
15,238 Posts
I have 3 hand lever type guns.. don't know the brand of any of them.. they all work great.. what I find is that MTD machines have plastic greese zerks on their front wheels for the axle.. it is a simple slip in fitting.. it will leak greese instead of bein a guide to get the greese where it is needed.. have seen some if these missing as the entire thing was gone from the rim.. to install one in a rim.. they r just pushed in.. when mounted in rim.. they still wiggle around & leak where it mounts to the rim..

·
Registered
735 Posts
I've used both the cheap Chinese and name brand guns without noticing much of a difference. In the summer I almost solely keep 3 bush hogs greased throughout the season and use a couple dozen tubes of grease. The gun itself doesn't seem to matter much, they all pump grease in a satisfactory manner.

What matters the most in my opinion is the coupler.. The Chinese couplers included on most guns are garbage. I've got a couple older couplers that were made in the USA and work excellently. I've read that John Deere makes a good one, and there's one that clips on available through Amazon.

I always use a lever type gun with a rubber hose. I did use a pistol grip gun for awhile but it really wore my hand out. I hold the grease gun by the lever with my right hand and hold the hose with my left. It's not hard to find something to brace the gun to pump against.
http://locknlube.com/

A joy to use.My blood doesn't boil,I don't throw things anymore.And I don't need 3 hands!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts