My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me the size thread for the grease fittings on the stearing nuckels on a cub 1200 ? I can not see any thread in the hole. I dosn't look like the tip is broken off the best that I can tell. The grease fitting on the stearing box will turn with you fingers but will not back out. I didn't get a hold of it and pull and turn at the same time. I know that you can cause yourself problems trying to remove or look at things that are working!!! Been there done that!!!:banghead3

:thanku:

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Yup, Cub went with 'press-in' as opposed to thread-in Zerks for much of the Cub line. You have to be real careful you don't yank them out with the grease gun coupler. You could pull one and match it up with a slightly larger threaded Zerk and carefully thread it it. Either that or try to peen the edges of your existing ones with a dab-o locktite in there.

Joel

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes the two front nuckel ones are gone completly so thats why I was asking. Thanks a bunch!!! Looks like I will have to go find a tap. :Disgus:

·
Registered
172 Posts
Just saw this post.

How do you remove press-in grease zerks?

My 48" deck's center spindle's grease zerk won't accept grease. Since it's the center spindle, I have no room really.

Do I need to remove the deck and give it a good yank with vice grips?

I'm new to tractors... I've heard putting the CC deck back on is a pain.

Thanks,
Jim

·
Registered
339 Posts
Somewhere in my junk box, I have the tap for those grease fittings. I had to buy one once. If my memory serves me correctly they are 28 thread, I think the one I used was 1/4". The thread pattern is not a normal thread which 1/4 28 is not.... You will have to more than likely have to pull the steering knuckles to tap the holes, it will take a few extra minutes however if you want the job done right what can I say.......

·
Registered
507 Posts
Your steering knuckles probably have pressed in zirks. Recently someone on this or one of the other Cub sights had the same problem. I'm not exactly sure but I think they said they got new press in zirks at their local Ace Hardware store.

Someone with a better memory than me should remember where the post was and maybe they can remind us where the zirks were found.

·
certified tractor nut
1,424 Posts
you can buy a zerk thread tap at almost any parts store to make the right sized threads or just buy an assortment of zerks and screw it in it will make its own threads as long as the metal isnt too thick

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got a drill & tap 1/4-28 together & some 1/4-28 short straight grease fittings to go in mine. There are a couple different sizes that you can get. there are 1/4 pipe thread & 1/8 pipe thread. I pipe threads are tappered & I didn't think that it looker like the press in ones. It has been my experance that pipe threads are harder to tap, being that you drill a straight hole. The futher you run the tap in the harder it is to turn and makes it prone to breaking.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts