My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after 25 hours on my LA175 and according to the service schedule outlined was to grease the blade spindles etc. So I grease the 2 outer spindles. Next was the center spindle. I could not get my grease gun fitting into the grease fitting. See pictures. The fitting was in a position that made it impossible to use 3 different grease guns I have to fit on the fitting. Why did they not rotate the spindle one quarter turn so the fitting was more accessible like the 2 outer fittings. The frame that holds another pulley to the left is in the way. Has anybody else have this issue? Now I have to see if I can get a grease gun that will get to the fitting or will I have to drop the deck to get to it? Rant over, thanks for listening
Ron

Attachments

·
Registered
221 Posts
I had the same problem with that zerk fitting on my LA deck. I was finally able to find a 45 degree fitting for the end of my gun at auto zone. That fitting is in a frustrating spot.

·
The voice of reason !
2,720 Posts
I had the same problem with that zerk fitting on my LA deck. I was finally able to find a 45 degree fitting for the end of my gun at auto zone. That fitting is in a frustrating spot.
Or you can put a 45 deg. Zerk on the spindle ?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
My father had a 135 that was a pain to grease so I just turned the spindle one hole so the grease gun would go right on. You think the engineers would think of such things but they are more concerned about making them as cheap as possible. They did a good job of that on that style of mower.

·
Enginerd - DieselDork
792 Posts
My father had a 135 that was a pain to grease so I just turned the spindle one hole so the grease gun would go right on. You think the engineers would think of such things but they are more concerned about making them as cheap as possible. They did a good job of that on that style of mower.
Great idea! I might have to do that. (although I need to replace the spout on my grease gun anyway. I performed some percussive maintenance on the grease gun to try to get it to go on that fitting..... and broke the spout.)

·
Enginerd - DieselDork
792 Posts
i take it you have a solid arm on your gun? if so get a flexible tube, they are much easier!

for what it is worth, i drop the deck off my L130 and my X500 to grease them. they come off/go back on in under 10 minutes, which is usually quicker than if i fight with the middle zerk!
Even with the deck off, it is nearly impossible to get a solid arm grease gun onto the fitting on the center spindle on this deck.... it's just in an akward spot.

·
The voice of reason !
2,720 Posts
how long did it take to drop the deck unbolt the spindle re bolt it and get the deck on and level it ?

My guess would be about an hour, whereas if you spend $1.29 on just lower it to the lowest cutting height and change out the zerk it may take 10 minutes ?

now if you're taking it off to clean it thats different.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks guys, I have a flexible and snake hose that just didn't work. Bought a new hose with a shorter solid end so I could flex it past the bracket holding another pulley. Think I will just change the fitting next grease job to a 45 . I have worked on vintage cars from the 30s to the 60s with no greasing issues, were the fittings are located. O well live and learn. Turning the spindle one quarter turn would have made it less frustrating.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts