My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When replacing bearings do you just tighten blade nut to desired preload and then rely on the nylon nut to keep things in place? Can someone please tell me correct procedure?

·
Premium Member
3,369 Posts
Which machine is this deck on? Generally, most GRAVELY spindles do not have a "preload" on the bearings. The spindle shaft has stops that position the bearings. If you assemble it and it is too loose, you need new races or have other issues.

If you assemble it as nd it is too tight, you need a new shaft, or you need to shim where the inner race sits on the shaft.

Sheldon

·
Registered
642 Posts
Is this your mower in this link? https://www.gravelymanuals.com/pdf/72_Inch_Center_Mount_Mower_OM_19881000.pdf

Most of the mowers are setup the same. On page 16 (page 19 of the pdf) if you put a shim on the shaft #24 first before installing the bearing, that should loosen the pre-load on the bearing.

The shoulders on shaft #24 set the distance between the bearings. If that distance is too short, when you tighten the nut the bearings are squeezed into the races too tightly. If you put a shim on the shoulder of the shaft, the shim and the shoulder combination will stop the bearing before it gets too tight. Of course you will need to experment with the right shim or shims.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That is the same book that I have with my mower deck but the spindle is not the same as pictured #24 mine is splined on one side and keyed on the other but I do have a shim washer on bottom side if I'm reading correctly they should be .030 thick I'm going out to check those now. they may be worn thin. And I did not buy new ones.

·
Premium Member
3,369 Posts
While it is not clearly shown, the diagram Franklin linked to does show that the top of the spindles are keyed, note item #47.

The washers at the top and bottom are not shims and will have no effect on the bearings. They are a two piece metal labyrinth grease seal system.

To your earlier questions and my earlier post, yes, if the bearings are tight, add shims between the bearing and the shaft. If they are too loose at shims between the outer race and the housing. OR, replace parts as needed.

With minimal grease or light assembly oil they should spin free with no noticeable play.

You can find more info on rebuilding similar GRAVELY spindles in my "Improvement" thread or by searching this forum.

Latest 16G improvements

Sheldon

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This is the exploded view of the spindles that I have the top pulley Titans down tight to the top bearing and then is placed into the top race of the housing.Then from bottom place the other bearing on spindle followed by a 30000 washer and a thick washer they're calling the oil seal then the blade bracket slides up the splined shaft with nothing to stop it before it hits the bearing the further you turn the not the tighter the bearing becomes the stop is a good quarter inch away.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's what everybody's telling me going to need an assortment of shims to do that not easy to find others are telling me that the nylon lock nut is tightened down just like a castle nut would be on a axle bearing until the desired load is applied.

·
Premium Member
3,369 Posts
That's what everybody's telling me going to need an assortment of shims to do that not easy to find others are telling me that the nylon lock nut is tightened down just like a castle nut would be on a axle bearing until the desired load is applied.
Nobody who has actually rebuilt a GRAVELY spindle would tell you to tighten only to the desired load. Trust me, if you do that you will be mowing one day and leave a blade and cradle in the yard if you don't destroy the spindle shaft first.

I see your exploded view, and I don't have a full set of IPL's for all years on the 72" deck. But there should be the two grease seal washers on the top of the spindle as well.

If you still have a 1/4" of unresolved travel, something is really wrong.

Pictures would help.

As Franklin and I have explained, the shoulder on the spindle sets the bearing separation distance. If the bearings are not tight against the spindle shaft shoulder, the inner races will spin with the bearing and destroy the spindle shaft.

While I did say earlier that the grease seal washers do not effect the bearings, they do need to be there both for their function and for the proper spacing of everything on the shaft assembly.

Sounds like you might be missing them at the top and that might be your problem.

Sheldon

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have one brand new I want to hear spindle assembly and I am rebuilding to others I took apart the brand new one and there are not any washers on the top I do believe you that they need shimmed I just don't know where to get the shims

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
There is a shoulder on the bottom of the top pulley that sets down into the housing that acts as the dust seal . When you rebuild the spindles that you have rebuilt where are you getting the spacers.I will be home from work soon I will take some pictures of everything I have and I will send them hopefully they will help

·
Premium Member
3,369 Posts
Is there a shoulder on the bottom of the pulley that fits down into the top of the spindle?

Again, pictures would help.

You can get shim washers from McMaster Carr, look them up on line. They have great service.

Sheldon

1 - 20 of 65 Posts