My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Gravely Fan
881 Posts
Bobodu- With the swift-o-matic You only get two of the three speeds of tractors. You only get the "L" and "LS" speeds you don't get the "LI" speeds with the swift-o-matic. The "LI" gearing is to low. But it does make a difference to you because you have a "LI" already. With a "LI" and an "L8" or "C8" you will have all three speeds of tractors. - Kris :fing32:

·
One of the First 500
2,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
http://jbvb.ex.com/gravely/gravely.html
Quote..
"Early units had a planetary transmission which gave two speeds forward and two reverse. The transmission was available with three different gear ratios, in order to accomodate different implements' requirements. To go even slower, you could install optional gear-reduction wheels. Later, Gravely offered as an option another planetary, to provide 4 speeds forward and 4 reverse. This Model L8 with the Swiftamatic Transmission largely eliminated the need for gear-reduction wheels or different transmission gearing."

·
One of the First 500
2,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Okay okay I give...that was the thread I was looking for when dinner was ready....but my tractors have throttles....LOL
I guess the key word is "exactly" but that's picking nits.If I had four speeds in either direction,I wouldn't need to be exact.
I just hate changing attachments........

·
Registered
658 Posts
has anyone put on the two stud bolts on the front of their tractor to make it easier to change attachments? I'm guessing you put them in the top two holes and use nuts to tighten and use the regular hex head bolts in the bottom? I haven't tried this yet but read about it somewhere.

Andy

·
One of the First 500
2,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
My L has one THREADLESS stud on top...don't know how it got there.I make sure the bolts have lockwashers and are tight.

·
Registered
658 Posts
bobodu

so you only have three bolts holding on your attachments?
I would have thought that would cause cracking in the housing etc by not spreading the stress evenly

Andy

·
One of the First 500
2,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I dunno....I've had her two years and run every attachment I own on her.God only knows how long it's been this way.

·
Gravely Fan
881 Posts
I have heard a story about a guy who only used 2 of the four bolts and the advanced casting just split right in front of him. He couldn't believe it. I would suggest you use all 4. - Kris :)

21 - 31 of 31 Posts