My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
One of the First 500
2,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gotta go down 18 inches...but my LI does the first 13!! :congrats:
Sure wish I made the longer shaft.Every time I go to the scrap yard,I see the hex stock...and put it off....

·
One of the First 500
2,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The beauty of that plow is that it is the only thing that's touch the clay we have,short of a farm tractor! I charge $40 an hour for sod busting,which is cheap...when the city people get within two miles of my place...the price is gonna go up something fierce!
So it's possible to get the plow to pay for itself real quick.Problem I have is good neighbors :banghead3 Can't be going and charging them!Payment in kind works out okay though...fish frys,grilled steaks,BIG tractors when I need em,tool loanin'( that's been in reverse since the neighbor's barn burned down...thank God he saved the Oliver...it's the only green thing that can safely cross the property line!)
Dug a 200' by 8' swale through the back yard with that plow and pulled it out with the rear blade on the Farmnought.Took about two hours.I use it to incorperate horse manure into the garden...80 yards over the fall and spring.Sounds like a lot but the garden is 85 by 85 feet.
I never have to rent one of the fancy "bed makers" either..mark the bed out in spray paint...a little Roundup.. and toss the dirt into the center!

Gawd....I wish I made the longer shaft :fing20:
Those last 6 inches are murder on my body....

·
Gravely Fan
881 Posts
bobodu- Your not suppose to use dual wheels with the rotary plow. It's the one attachment that you should not use them with. The rotary plow is one of the best attachments Gravely had. It works mint!! You should look for a trencher attachment. There were alot for sale at last years Gravely mow-in. Show more pics !! - Kris

·
Registered
658 Posts
krislu said:
bobodu- Your not suppose to use dual wheels with the rotary plow. It's the one attachment that you should not use them with. The rotary plow is one of the best attachments Gravely had. It works mint!! You should look for a trencher attachment. There were alot for sale at last years Gravely mow-in. Show more pics !! - Kris

Kris

why shouldn't you use the duals?

Andy

·
Registered
658 Posts
Bobodu

did you take one of the plows front wheels off or is it actually buried in the trench?

Great pics. gives me lots of ideas. I just bought a rotary plow from a guy for $50 and haven't had a chance to use it yet. after seeing your pics I am thinking even though its too late for a garden I do have lots of places that I need more drainage.

Andy

·
Gravely Fan
881 Posts
Hi Jody !! It's nice to talk to you too ! Dad had a kidney removed. He has taken alot of my time and thought. It looks like he is going to be OK.

Andy- The way to use a rotary plow is you start in the middle of the area to be plowed and you keep making right turns. Once you have cut the first trench your suppose to put the wheels in the trench for the next pass. With duals you can't put the wheels in the trench. They don't fit. I realize Bobodu is cutting a trench to lay wire and not plowing a field to garden and the plow did an awesome job judging from the pics above but becareful not to hit a big rock or something. I have seen the plow throw some pretty good size rocks. The tractor can also stall out and get stuck if a rock is big enough. My brother used his rotary plow to cut a trench and he cut right thru his sprinkler system pipe and he didn't even realize it when it happened. He found out when the sprinkler timer went off. Keep the pics coming . - Kris

·
Retired Super Moderator
5,460 Posts
Glad to hear your Dads OK and doing better. :fing32: I had my right kidney removed when i was 2 am 41 and doing fine. He should have no problem living with one kidney.

·
Gravely Fan
881 Posts
He's 80 and it was cancer but they say they got it all and no need for treatment. But he is on dialysis. Thanks Jody ! - Kris

·
One of the First 500
2,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I use the duals all the time for rotary plowing,and cutting brush,and pushing dirt,and cultivating as well as hauling logs and chasing Lawn Deeres outta the county.So you see why it's not worth the effort to remove the right wheel for the small portion of my week between the handlebars that I actually spend rotary plowing.I have never needed to take it off for my 85' X 85' garden either.When I get my dedicated plowing tractor,It'll be a 7.6 LS with a larger righthand wheel.

I was able to get down 13 inches this way...the lions share of the 18+ I needed :fing32: .All 110 feet of it,along with my share of rocks and roots.Took ten minutes to backfill with the dozer blade.It's a shame I can't justify buying the trencher...but I'd rather have the Terramite backhoe for the Gravely!!!
http://www.stevenchalmers.com/Gravely/TM/TM_01.shtml

Ummm....I couldn't get that Yahoo link in the last post to work....

·
Gravely Fan
881 Posts
The backhoe is hot no doubt. A friend of mine has one. He dug the foundation for his new garage with it. But I don't understand how you plow a field with the duals . How do you put the tire in the trench ? I would get a "L" or "C" 8 instead of an LS. You can do more with the machine. - Kris

·
One of the First 500
2,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just toss the dirt wide and set my plow angle steep.I don't attempt to drop the wheel.
The "L" is just way too fast for plowing,I only use mine for finish mowing...and hay rides for the neighborhood kids.The "LI"" is for the real work.A Swiftomatic would be OK if I wanted to spend the time swapping out attachments...hence the "dedicated plow tractor".Still trying to explain to the wife why I NEED more than the present three Gravelys....LOL.
I also won't run anything but a Gravely engine.

·
One of the First 500
2,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh yeah...the 8 speed would do it...especially with the fast gear for transportation!!!
My point is that I NEED seven or fourteen tractors so I don't have to swap attachments!! ROF
I woun't own a "C: because of things like...Briggs,Robin,Onan,Honda,Kawasaki...or anything other a Gravely people have put on em. :fing20:
Kinda like putting a Susuki engine on a Harley. :banghead3
Just think things were better the old way.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Paul

yes your right when they changed from the 6.6 to the 7.6 engine they changed the designation to "C" from "L".

The change occurred around 1966 and the C was produced until 1976.

Andy

·
Gravely Fan
881 Posts
"I also won't run anything but a Gravely engine." Bobodu - Your a man after my own heart !!!!
I was not recommending an "L" tractor by the way . You are correct they are only good for mowing. The L8 and C8 is the swiftomatic . Which is what I recommended. with that machine you have the speed of an "L" and the speed of an "LS" but you don't have an "LI". But you have that machine already, Cool !! :fing32: - Kris

·
One of the First 500
2,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
With the Swift-o-matic you get the L-LI-LS and another gear somewhere in there....hafta look it up but the barn needs wired for LIGHTS!!! :bannana:
Maybe if I say it one more time the wife will see my point of veiw...
A man really NEEDS seven or fourteen Gravelys.....maybe more!!!

Hmmph...didn't work....she's still napping

Have seen a couple of the Commercial Gravelys out working landscapers this week....(get it...working landscapers??)...LOL
One was pushing a 50' mower and pulling a PFY.
The other was backfilling a new swimming pool...ATTA BOY!!! :congrats:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts